Compatibility -Shrimp-Tangs and more

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Diamondback Goby who is new to my 215, in QT he was with my Fire shrimp who is currently living in my Biocube 16, I felt a little bad separating them, they were fun to watch together even though people say these 2 don't bond. I'm considering moving the fire shrimp to the big tank to hang with the Goby again or getting a shrimp that might bond with the goby.
I have 2 Tangs in QT right now, I'm wondering if they would kill shrimp? I've read mixed reviews on this, watched a video of Tangs trying to eat someone's Shrimp! Now I'm wondering if I can have shrimp in the big tank at all.

Currently the 215 has 2 clowns, a diamondback Goby, a few hermits, 1 old snail and somewhere...a conch, I put him in there about 2 weeks ago and have not seen him since day 1!
I'm adding the 2 Tangs after a long stint in quarantine, so far it's only been 10 days, I plan on keeping them in there past a month, just to be sure...they're being treated for flukes right now.

So my questions:
Are shrimp compatible with Tangs? (Yellow and Yellow eyed Kole)

Can I have more than 1 shrimp?

Can I have another goby or something else that cleans/sift sand? as I'm always fighting some kind of algae, so I need good cleaners.

Do I need to worry about the Shrimp being murdered by the Wav pumps??

Could a puffer ever fit into the mix without limiting my choices? :)

Looking for suggestions for future tank mates (after the Tangs leave the QT) I like colorful, sociable fish, it's a large tank, but I don't want anything larger than the Yellow Tang will get one day, so under a foot!

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Tangs in my experience are just fine with shrimp. I have zero experience with a Yellow eyed Kole so I won’t comment on them. A Puffer will eat every shrimp you put or have in your tank. Some puffers will even go after your gobies.
I’ve never lost a shrimp to a wave pump and mine hang out on them during feeding time to dive bomb the food as I poor it in lol

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Tangs in my experience are just fine with shrimp. I have zero experience with a Yellow eyed Kole so I won’t comment on them. A Puffer will eat every shrimp you put or have in your tank. Some puffers will even go after your gobies.
I’ve never lost a shrimp to a wave pump and mine hang out on them during feeding time to dive bomb the food as I poor it in lol

Ok, I was thinking a puffer was a long shot, oh well, no puffer for me! I like a peaceful tank where no one tries to eat their neighbors.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile, I meant to include this video in my post, I don't see an edit option. This show my how my shrimp and goby acted on a daily basis, so I decide to video tape them and add a little mood music...turn up your volume. ;) The Goby was always looking for the shrimp, this is why I felt guilty separating them...even though these are not the type to bond...I feel like they were good friends. lol

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add any Lysmata sp to the 215 and you'll see similar behavior. Scarletts are generally the most active cleaner though.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add any Lysmata sp to the 215 and you'll see similar behavior. Scarletts are generally the most active cleaner though.

Can I have more than one? will they live in peace and with the Goby? I read a post about a shrimp and Goby who weren't getting along and someone mentioned that some cleaner shrimp can be territorial and pinch the gobies or other shrimp.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I have 10 Scarletts, 6 Fire, and a handful of Pepps coexisting peacefully in my 300. They can be territorial to one another if the tank isn't large enough but don't bother one another given ample room. They squabble during feedings but one always retreats before anything happens. They should ignore the Goby for the most part other than the occasional cleaning. I always have at least two of each species so eggs are fertilized and fish/coral get the occasional larval feast at night.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back