Compatible corals list

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone keep some sort of progressive list of corals and compatibility issues?

Would be nice to have some sort of rule of thumb to guide me when purchasing new stuff.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria has a compatibility chart for fish and their relative "safe status" for reef aquariums.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean softies have chemicals they put out into the water but that can be mitigated with activated carbon. Just dont let corals touch each other and watch out for sweeper tentacles and you are pretty safe

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no coral, to my knowledge, that can kill any other type of coral just by being in the same aquarium. I mean unless one dies and its left to decay

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are cool - you can basically buy anything you can keep alive and have space for. Some corals have sweeper tentacles that they use to sting other corals, but as long as they have enough space that's not a problem at all.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad. FYI: I have a mix of Euphyillia (hammer, frogspawn, bubble) with hairy mushroom, several different zoas, discosomas mushrooms, pipe organ and a lone SPS bird's nest. So, antidotally, these appear to be compatible. Sorry I couldn't really answer your question. I'm sure others will.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my general order of operations when i get a new coral is to research it online to find flow and light requirements. the benefit of this is you slowly build a knowledgebase which is always a good thing. i feel like a generalized chart would rob people of learning and probably not do a great job of detailing things.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone keep some sort of progressive list of corals and compatibility issues?

Would be nice to have some sort of rule of thumb to guide me when purchasing new stuff.
Well there is... sorta.

Your lights determine how deep the light simulation is. More Actinic blue combined with less white light, the deeper the water is simulated.

20210317_153959.jpg

I always research at what depth a coral thrives at in the wild and buy similar corals that thrive at that depth as well.

A true "mixed" reef with corals that need different lighting requirements is IMO cheating the coral from its full potential.

20210317_153205.jpg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back