Complete Beginner To Saltwater

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey im looking forward to getting a saltwater tank! I want to get a 10 gallon as i dont want to go big and potentially lose everything as i have no experience with saltwater at all. These are the questions i really need answered along with this please also share ur thoughts and advice for a beginner! PS i have had freshwater fish in the past so im not a beginner to fishkeeping as a whole! Ive had oscars, Flowerhorns, pacus, catfish etc!

1. What Fish can i keep in a 10 gallon? i was thinking 2 Percula Clowns. From my limited knowledge of saltwater all i know is i cant keep maroon clowns
  2. Will i need a sump? or is it not needed for a 10 gal?
  3. How do i cycle a saltwater tank and how long to cycle for? Before this its my dad who has cycled my tanks for me... now im doing it on my own so i have no clue as to what i should do
  4. What kind of a tank is best? Acrylic or Glass?
  5. How many water changes a week depending on the fish?
  6. How do i check if my saltwater's salinity is right and how do i maintain it to be perfect?
  7. And how to get the proper saltwater?
  8. What kind of a filter do i need?
  9. What lights do i need? and should my lights be on at all times?
  10. How expensive will it be to maintain?
  11. What tools will i need to take care of the pH, salinity etc
  12. How cold/warm should the water be for the perculas?
  13. Which are smaller? The false percula or the true percula?
  14. I dont want to grow corals. A few rocks, black background... Also should i get substrate or sand?
  15. Could I keep an anemone and are they compulsory for clowns?
  16. Please just tell me about anything i missed and how to solve it please
I really want to make sure everything is pitch perfect do i need anything else for a saltwater tank? Please help me i really want to get into saltwater but i want to do it right! Please try to answer my questions I dont wanna screw up anywhere lol!

Thank you in advance!

Clowns-corals-cats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't you have maroons? You can have 2 clowns if you plan on upgrading so may as well go bigger. Bigger water volume less paramiter swings anyway. Sumps are not needed with nano tanks just keep up with maintenance. Glass works but if you could I'd just get acrylic so you can drill it if you ever want to add a sump. You cycle if for however long it takes you need to watch ammonia and nitrite rise then bottom out at 0 then nitrates rise and your good to add stuff at that point. You buy a refractor meter to check salinity follow the salts directions and top off with FRESH RO water not salt as salt does not evaporate. I do weekly water changes mainly to replenish things for my coral and control nitrates etc. Your LFS may sell salt water but you can buy salt to mix yourself witch is cheaper depends on what you want. All sorts of filter options available your main filtration should be live rock though and sand. If fish only then any light should do and no don't leave it on all day they need night time to. You'll have to buy a test kit to measure pH and monitor your cycle. It for sure costs a pretty penny when you start up in my opinion the main finance after that is salt witch isn't much in a small tank. Anenome are not necessary they will host corals or anything my female hosts a rock the male hosts nothing and my tank is full of euphillia. And I'd deffinetly do substrate if I where you. Live sand. Good luck.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back