Completely new to corals

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

with my tank nearly cycled I’m almost ready to start stocking.

I was just wondering with corals, how do I put them in the tank?

do I glue them to the rock? Or do I leave them just to sit on the rock/sand bed?

I’ve got no idea with this stuff.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would have done is drill some holes where you want to place the frags. They usually come on a plug with a stem. Since thats not prob an option you will need to secure them somehow. Putty or superglue are very commonly used for this. It also depends on what the corals needs are. Some only like being on the sand and others like only to be on rocks.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is one of those time youtube might serve you also…I don’t wanna spoil your fun looking for and at

(coral placement) and )coral for beginners) choices (glueing frags) et et …. just put bracketed words in search engine …enjoy :p

OP
OP
D

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is one of those time youtube might serve you also…I don’t wanna spoil your fun looking for and at

(coral placement) and )coral for beginners) choices (glueing frags) et et …. just put bracketed words in search engine …enjoy :p
Cheers my man!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut off the leg of the frag and glue the base to the rock with super glue gel. If you go the super glue route make sure it's the gel type and only contains cyanoacrylate (no other additives). After I cut the leg off I will wipe the bottom of the plug so it's dry then I put a big blob of glue on then I quickly put it in the tank and I hold it there for 30 seconds. Make sure you don't put the blob on the plug over the tank because some of the glue might drop off into the water. Thankfully the glue usually just balls ups and floats so you can scoop it out but better to not have that happen. If your rock is really jagged/uneven you might need the putty so because the putty will shape to the rock giving the frag plug a better hold. If your coral doesn't come on a plug then you can usually put a blob of glue on the base and simply stick the coral to the rock but you will have to research the coral. Some just melt away if glue touches their tissue so you might need the putty for them. Some folks remove the coral from the plug to stick them on the rock directly. I don't bother. As mentioned, watching YouTube videos (especially if they're targeted to the coral you're placing) is a good way to go. Also research if they like sand placement or rock placement (this was also mentioned above). Good luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back