Concerned about Peacock Mantis behaviour

rynia93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

I'm relatively new to aquariums but I've always wanted a mantis shrimp and I finally have one! I've been reading up a lot and thank you all for your previous threads and how much help they have been. My boyfriend is a fishroom manager at World of Water in the UK, so he has been helping as much as he can - although mantis shrimps are relatively new to him. Which is why I was hoping your experiences might help with my concern for Manny (the mantis shrimp).
I have a Red Sea Max Nano 20g tank for Manny, about a 3.5" peacock mantis shrimp. Current water parameters are 25*C, 1.025 SG, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 2-3ppm nitrate.
We got Manny on 31st January, initially very shy and didn't want to eat for a few days, he made himself a burrow at the back and hid there for most of the first few days. He then ate a mussel on 5th February and became very active, started redecorating the tank, moved burrow (filled in the old one and started burrowing in the new one, moving rocks etc), there is a little shelf in the live rock which he has jazzed up with some pretty shells found in the sand, and became very inquisitive with us when we were watching him. Didn't eat the next day, figured he wasn't hungry, but then devoured another mussel on the 7th. So all seemed well. The past couple of days he hasn't wanted any food, he's been moving the food further and further away from his burrow, so I got the message, he didn't want it. This morning, checked the water parameters and everything seems fine, checked on him and he popped out to look at me and all seemed good.
Went to do a food shop and when I got back, I popped my head in and he's on his side inside his burrow, just waving his pleopods around, occasionally shifting on to his other side to do the same. His eyes are still moving around and checking things out, have read that some people's mantis shrimp do this when they're napping, or it's a sign of a moult? I then noticed that there are a couple of his pereiopods sticking out of the sand inside his burrow, looks like they have ripped off rather than moulted as they are still bright red.
I have turned the light off on his tank and have left him alone since in case he is moulting.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to what's going on - is he moulting or should I be worried? If he is moulting, is there anything I can do? - I've seen a few comments on dosing iodine but also read elsewhere that they gain the necessary iodine from the water anyway and dosing with extra is actually really bad - any feedback to this? If he's not moulting - how on earth has he managed to rip off his pereiopods?! - he has the tank to himself.

Thanks in advance :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what they do when molting. It is a difficult thing to do. After this molt, add rubble so the mantis will hopefully the burrow next time.

OP
OP
rynia93

rynia93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was actually on my to do for the next couple of days. I had a few small pieces of live rock which he has moved around his burrow, so I was going to break a larger piece that I have to give him more small pieces to move around. It will have to wait til he's all done though. Thanks for the advice :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Molting behavior
The more it’s left alone, the better it will fare with the molt process

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't remove the omult when its done either as its a tasty snack!

OP
OP
rynia93

rynia93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to update, Manny has had a successful moult, didn't last long at all. Think he's eaten it as well as I have so far only found the smallest piece of moult. He's shy but accepted some soft food today, didn't want to give him anything hard as his shell is probably still in the process of hardening and didn't want to risk damaging his dactyls.

Back