Concerns/questions about Fluconazole.

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently dealing with what may be a bryopsis problem. I purchased Reef Flux fluconazole, if this doesn’t treat it, then I’ll know it’s not bryopsis and will have to instead try Vibrant or something. But the instructions on the Reef Flux say to remove all carbon, Purigen, etc., and that treatment takes 3 weeks and you can’t even do water changes until those 3 weeks are up. That is extremely concerning to me. I already struggle to keep my nitrates in check, and dying algae would only spike that further, except I have absolutely no removal of it happening during that period. There would be no filtration running except for filter floss, live rock, and bio-pellets.

I’m just wondering how those 3 weeks went for others, if you used any alternate type of filtration so things didn’t get out of control, how bad your nitrates and phosphates got, did it kill any fish, corals, or inverts due to the “dirty” unfiltered water, etc. I’m even worried about chemical warfare between my softies. With carbon running, it’s never a concern, but 3 weeks without it could end up letting things run wild. I’m very hesitant about even doing this treatment due to all of this, so I’m looking for further insight and reassurance on this.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently dealing with what may be a bryopsis problem. I purchased Reef Flux fluconazole, if this doesn’t treat it, then I’ll know it’s not bryopsis and will have to instead try Vibrant or something. But the instructions on the Reef Flux say to remove all carbon, Purigen, etc., and that treatment takes 3 weeks and you can’t even do water changes until those 3 weeks are up. That is extremely concerning to me. I already struggle to keep my nitrates in check, and dying algae would only spike that further, except I have absolutely no removal of it happening during that period. There would be no filtration running except for filter floss, live rock, and bio-pellets.

I’m just wondering how those 3 weeks went for others, if you used any alternate type of filtration so things didn’t get out of control, how bad your nitrates and phosphates got, did it kill any fish, corals, or inverts due to the “dirty” unfiltered water, etc. I’m even worried about chemical warfare between my softies. With carbon running, it’s never a concern, but 3 weeks without it could end up letting things run wild. I’m very hesitant about even doing this treatment due to all of this, so I’m looking for further insight and reassurance on this.
The advice is to only do a water change if the health of the livestock is at risk, and to replace the amount of flucanozole you remove. So if you feel your nitrates are too high and do a 25% water change, add 1/4 of the original amount of flucanozole back to the tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*and it's best to go 6 weeks if possible

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of the above. Clams will also tank those nutrients fast. I have a heavily stocked and heavily fed 1000L system but the ~10 clams keep the nutrients barely detectable!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back