Conductivity anomaly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I was wondering if it's normal that my conductivity probe needs recalibration every 1-2 weeks as the measured value will otherwise drift downwards?

So in other words, it reports that the salinity is dropping (let's say 0.1 PSU / day), while it is not?

Cheers

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I was wondering if it's normal that my conductivity probe needs recalibration every 1-2 weeks as the measured value will otherwise drift downwards?

So in other words, it reports that the salinity is dropping (let's say 0.1 PSU / day), while it is not?

Cheers
Are you sure its not? My tank does that fairly consistently.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seems to drift all over the place but slowly. I only use it as an alarm to let me know if my ATO sticks open/closed.

I bother to recalibrate a couple times a year.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am. Because if I pull the probe and recalibrate it, it then goes back to where it should be. It just seems odd, that it needs to be recalibrated every 1-2 weeks
How are you cleaning it?

OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you cleaning it?
I’m not cleaning it in the 1-2 week timeframe. When doing a recalibration I soak it in citric acid for 5 mins, then rinse it off with rodi. But this time (after 8 days it was reading 1ppt below) I just recalibrated it, because there was nearly no buildup/biofiom on it yet.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not cleaning it in the 1-2 week timeframe. When doing a recalibration I soak it in citric acid for 5 mins, then rinse it off with rodi. But this time (after 8 days it was reading 1ppt below) I just recalibrated it, because there was nearly no buildup/biofiom on it yet.
I soak mine in citric acid for a few hours every month or two which is when I recalibrate. I'm wondering if the 5 minute bath isn't long enough.

OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soak mine in citric acid for a few hours every month or two which is when I recalibrate. I'm wondering if the 5 minute bath isn't long enough.
It might not be, although the probe seems to be clean after it. Anyway, it’s still drifting 1 ppt / 1.5 week, which is strange and suggests that the probe is faulty

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not be, although the probe seems to be clean after it. Anyway, it’s still drifting 1 ppt / 1.5 week, which is strange and suggests that the probe is faulty
Next time it drifts around 1psu I would let it soak for 2 hours and put it back in the tank without recalibrating. If it gets close to the original reading then it's a cleaning issue. If it stays 1ppt low then I would agree that it is a probe issue.

OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time it drifts around 1psu I would let it soak for 2 hours and put it back in the tank without recalibrating. If it gets close to the original reading then it's a cleaning issue. If it stays 1ppt low then I would agree that it is a probe issue.
Good idea! Will try that

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most common causes of probe drifting is due to a leak of electrical current from some other piece of equipment. We've seen several cases where some heaters, flow pumps and even return pumps leaking current which is picked up by the conductivity probe and shows up as skewed values.

In pumps themselves, if their motor blocks were not isolated well enough, it may eventually cause an electrical leak. Other causes could be power cables running alongside the probe cable which cause electrical noise.

A recent case here shows how one user was able to resolve his issue with drifting probe values.
In the end the probe was not at fault.

OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most common causes of probe drifting is due to a leak of electrical current from some other piece of equipment. We've seen several cases where some heaters, flow pumps and even return pumps leaking current which is picked up by the conductivity probe and shows up as skewed values.

In pumps themselves, if their motor blocks were not isolated well enough, it may eventually cause an electrical leak. Other causes could be power cables running alongside the probe cable which cause electrical noise.

A recent case here shows how one user was able to resolve his issue with drifting probe values.
In the end the probe was not at fault.
Thanks. I have a grounding probe. Also the wires are running the same way before/during/after the calibration & normal use. The values aren’t jumping around, that one would expect during signal pickup, it is just constantly drifting downwards as days go by.

edit: interestingly enough, I also have a royal exclusive skimmer pump, although an AC one and not a DC one. Will investigate if that might be the issue! Although I’m not using a converter as I have 230V 50Hz AC

Last edited:
OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I did the last cleaning calibration, I’ve also set the signal filter to 1(strong) - not sure if that is what’s helping it.

FC72B439-0C2B-4CC3-ADA8-172E227832B2.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back