Conductivity probe not calibrating

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a 53mS/cm conductivity standard using 0ppm TDS RO/DI water (182g) with Morton iodized sea salt (6.2g)

I used a scale with an accuracy of 0.1g to weigh the water and the salt. I calibrated the scale prior with a 500g weight standard.

I followed the Neptune Apex instructs. I dried out the probe until the reading with acceptable and stable, then I dipped the probe into the solution and gently stirred any air bubbles out from the probe. I allowed the reading to become adequate and stable before I hit “complete.

However, the APEX is still reading the standard as 38ppt. I know I did everything correctly, and I have successfully calibrated my conductivity probe in the past. I’m not sure why it’s not reading the calibrated solution correctly.

I will try unplugging the conductivity probe and possibly even resetting the apex.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a conductivity probe too, but you can’t calibrate the reading. As I understand, the Probe is Titanium. I brushed a strong solution of Citric Acid on the Probe, with an artist brush. It is closer to the correct reading. Next time I do a complete tear down of my Fluval G3, I will try for a longer Citric Acid contact time. Hope this helps.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this standard for conductivity or specific gravity ?

I know you can’t use conductivity solution to calibrate a refractometer and you can’t use refractometer solution to calibrate Hanna salinity instrument

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got it fixed! Give me a second. Let me make sure before I state how I did it.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this standard for conductivity or specific gravity ?

I know you can’t use conductivity solution to calibrate a refractometer and you can’t use refractometer solution to calibrate Hanna salinity instrument
It’s a standard for conductivity. Yes, you are correct that refractometers and conductivity meters use different solutions. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it’s saying. I tried rebooting and disconnecting everything and then plugging in. Not sure what to do next.

I am all up to date. Maybe I should reset my Wi-Fi. I’m not sure. Sometimes leaving things alone and then coming back to them works.

5D6F7BDD-D973-4CBD-A431-4ECE50EDA53E.png

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it’s saying. I tried rebooting and disconnecting everything and then plugging in. Not sure what to do next.

I am all up to date. Maybe I should reset my Wi-Fi. I’m not sure. Sometimes leaving things alone and then coming back to them works.

5D6F7BDD-D973-4CBD-A431-4ECE50EDA53E.png
Not got an Apex but I wonder if it’s one of those systems that will not accept the calibration solution if it out of the expected range. Personally I would try making up more of the calibration solution to say 500grammes, which is where your scales are calibrated at. I have not checked your recipe for making the DIY solution however. You sure your using the conductivity probe one?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the temp an issue? The device needs to know the temp of the standard.
Nope. Impossible. I ensured that the standard was sitting in a plastic water bottle (rinsed 3 times with the standard) in my sump, which was right next to the temp probe, and then I allowed it to equilibrate with the same temperature as the probe. The tank was around 25C. I even used a thermometer.

I am pretty confident it’s something wrong with the apex. I tried calling them, It‘s holiday season and they seem to be closed, but I will make sure I get customer support.

I will keep this updated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Impossible. I ensured that the standard was sitting in a plastic water bottle (rinsed 3 times with the standard) in my sump, which was right next to the temp probe, and then I allowed it to equilibrate with the same temperature as the probe. The tank was around 25C. I even used a thermometer.

I am pretty confident it’s something wrong with the apex. I tried calling them, It‘s holiday season and they seem to be closed, but I will make sure I get customer support.

I will keep this updated.
Ok, that sounds appropriate. :)

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was calibrating mine, I let it soak in RODI for about 15 minutes before beginning the Apex process for calibration. And even after all these steps, if the probe is not displaying what I wanted, I further adjusted my TC factor until I got the appropriate 35ppt. Not sure if thats the best method, but so far my Apex probe matches my Milwaukee refractometer close enough so I am content (for now).

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was calibrating mine, I let it soak in RODI for about 15 minutes before beginning the Apex process for calibration. And even after all these steps, if the probe is not displaying what I wanted, I further adjusted my TC factor until I got the appropriate 35ppt. Not sure if thats the best method, but so far my Apex probe matches my Milwaukee refractometer close enough so I am content (for now).
Thanks Killer,

My issue is that the probe doesn’t let me calibrate it anymore.

I just googled and I read 2 separate posts that said they were successful when they used a computer to calibrate the probe.

It can’t hurt to try. :)

I’ll get back to you guys. :)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Didn’t work.

This seems like a job for customer service.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back