Confused about flow in nano aquarium

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2022
Messages
93
Reaction score
19
Location
Cyprus
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i am very confused with my water turnover and over all flow in my aio aquamedic nano qube. My net volume is about 55 liters and it comes with the aquamedic ecodrift 4.3 as the return pump which at 100% does 4000 lph. I also have a nano wave maker in the display pushing around 1000 lph. I had the ecodrift running at aroumd 60% and now i am starting to think is too much. I have gonis and torches mostly and zoas. I dont know if they will do better at lower flow lets say 20% . Should i remove the wavemaker in the display as well? I was thinking it should stay as it blows in a way that the ecodrifts flow is disturbed. Any advice from reefers with similar set ups or similar experiences
 
What makes you think its too much? Are fish struggling, are corals receded or pulling one way?
 
What makes you think its too much? Are fish struggling, are corals receded or pulling one way?
Thank you for the reply. I estimated the turnover per hour and the in display flow rate and are way above recommended in many articles ivseen and this got me wodering. To be honest one of my aleveopora is closed on the bottom part and i think is the flow. I just having the idea my corals might do better if i lower the flow. Now my return pump is at 50% and it gives out around 2000 lph and i have an insidisplay wavemaker with another 1000 lph. I was thinking to lower the return pump ecodrift 4.3 to 25%
 
To be honest one of my aleveopora is closed on the bottom part and i think is the flow. I just having the idea my corals might do better if i lower the flow. Now my return pump is at 50% and it gives out around 2000 lph and i have an insidisplay wavemaker with another 1000 lph. I was thinking to lower the return pump ecodrift 4.3 to 25%
Apart from turnover rate, your positioning for your coral is also really important. I have a 6g cube running atm with a sicce nano 1000 on top of a 95gph return pump.

Depending on the coral some may like more or less, if it looks like your alveapora polyps are just blown one way that means it may be too much flow, it should be gently swaying back and forth instead of getting beat down
 
Apart from turnover rate, your positioning for your coral is also really important. I have a 6g cube running atm with a sicce nano 1000 on top of a 95gph return pump.

Depending on the coral some may like more or less, if it looks like your alveapora polyps are just blown one way that means it may be too much flow, it should be gently swaying back and forth instead of getting beat down
do you think lowering the flow might cause issues, or should i test it oput for 1-2 weeks?
 
Thank you for the reply. I estimated the turnover per hour and the in display flow rate and are way above recommended in many articles ivseen and this got me wodering. To be honest one of my aleveopora is closed on the bottom part and i think is the flow. I just having the idea my corals might do better if i lower the flow. Now my return pump is at 50% and it gives out around 2000 lph and i have an insidisplay wavemaker with another 1000 lph. I was thinking to lower the return pump ecodrift 4.3 to 25%
So doing the math, 1000 lph divided by 55 litre tank is 18x turnover. So if you have 2 x 1000 lph, that means you have 36x turnover in your tank which is very high for a nano tank IMO. I agree with you I would decrease the return pump to 25%, and try to angle the powerhead so the flow bounces off the return flow,
 
So doing the math, 1000 lph divided by 55 litre tank is 18x turnover. So if you have 2 x 1000 lph, that means you have 36x turnover in your tank which is very high for a nano tank IMO. I agree with you I would decrease the return pump to 25%, and try to angle the powerhead so the flow bounces off the return flow,
What I did is i pointed the return pump ecodrift to aim somewhat upwards and decreased it to 30% as its the lowest percentage the controller can drops to which the pump states the lowest setting gives 800lph . i also estimate a decrease of about 25% flow due to the other 2 compartments with the media and the skimmer creating resistance the its about 600 lph. So its roughly 10x turnover per hour. I also kept the display wavemaker to keep the indisplay flow around 1800 lph
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new