Confused after water testing.

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the red sea algae control test kit. I'm getting 0 nitrates and between .04-.08 phosphates. I added some rowaphos about a week ago to help lower my phosphates but I can't get my nitrates up. I feed a good amount daily. It's a mix of food between pellets, brine shrimp, reef frenzy, reef roids and vitachem. Should be loaded with nitrates i figure. Any help with this ?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are you using macro algae? Those can reduce nitrates pretty quickly.

OP
OP
Sharkattackmack

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using macro algae? Those can reduce nitrates pretty quickly.
Yes I've got chaeto in the back and some dragon's breath in the DT. Maybe I'll keep the fuge light out for the next few days.

My corals haven't looked the best for a couple of days now. One is turning whiteish at the top and isn't extending its Polyps like it used too. I thought it was because I turned my light up 5%.

I also realized I was running my water at 33ppt salinity instead of 35. Stupid mistake on my part but I had my numbers mixed up in my head.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your sure your nitrate is zero, and not just undetectable, you can dose nitrate to bring that level in check.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank having problems that you associate with low nitrates?

bitwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd reduce the size of the chaeto ball or cut back on lighting like you said. In my experience, having a few PPM (2 - 10 ppm) of nitrate is much better than near zero, as you are less likely to run into coral health or dino problems.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I as well struggle with nitrates and my phosphates stay steady 0.05-0.07, I have a Fuge as well with Chaeto. I feed very heavy; 1-2 frozen feedings a day, flakes multiple times a day, live phyto everyday, and Reef Roids every three days. The only way to increase your nitrates will to be lower your photo period in your fuge, feed more, and/or dose nitrates. I'm doing all three and still undetectable nitrates. I'm trying to find the sweet spot with dosing nitrates. I'm up to dosing 2.5ppm a day in a ~35 gal system and will likely increase again in a couple days as they're still undetectable. The goal is to figure out what works in your system with your import and export levels.

OP
OP
Sharkattackmack

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank having problems that you associate with low nitrates?
Only problem I seem to be having is some of the coral isn't looking the happiest. I changed a few too many things at once. Turned my light up, put in some rowaphos, cleaned my sand. One of my favorite pieces is starting to turn white on the top (SPS), the rest are quite brown and not extending their polyps like they used too. I definately upset something in the tank.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rowaphos can strip your tank of phosphate.
I’m not sure why you want to use this as your phosphate is just fine, anywhere in the 0.03-.1 range is great.

Strip your tank of either nutrient spells trouble for corals, they starve.

Getting a true, actual zero in nitrates is hard so I have some problem with the test kit, however, you could dose up your nitrate to say 2-5ppm, tank just leave phosphate alone.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your other tank parameters. Sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in one thing and miss something else. I would consider returning your light to the previous setting especially if you noticed the coral whitening after you increased it. If all the other parameters are good and your problem is your nitrates are too low that’s not the worst position you could be in. You can actually focus on spot feeding the corals that don’t look good and adding some amino‘s which should help them turn around. I’ve always tried to keep all my parameters as low as possible because you have the luxury of being able to heavily feed the animals. As long as you’re keeping up with your export and getting rid of all the stuff before it can spoil you should be OK

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back