Confused again...

wasafuzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'll try to make this as short and unconfusing as possible. Went fallow in dt due to velvet. Set up qt. Added, fish. After 26 days (yes, 4 days) of 30 day quarantine 1 of the 3 fish died. Velvet? Not sure but think so. Other two acting odd but still alive. Started cupermine. 5 days later the other two are eating and look better. Question. With possible velvet, do I need to wait for the 76 days (again) or just the 15 days after the necessary 14 day copper treatment. How do I know I won't be transferring velvet back into dt. My dt has been empty for a looooong time! Thanks.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like QT wasnt complete.

Did you add the fish back to the display and then it died?

Did you treat with cupramine the first time?

As long as there are no fish in your DT, the 76 days doesnt reset.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to add, if fish died in QT, I wouldn’t blame a parasite. Usually QT are bare minimum tanks and not the best hospital for fish.

OP
OP
W

wasafuzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replys. I knew I wouldn't explain it very well. No fish added back to dt. After velvet, during which all fish died I started and cycled 10 gallon qt. Added 3 new fish, no meds. Waited 26 days out of the 30 day suggested, then 1 fish died. Two others acting odd. Removed dead fish. Added cupermine. Five days in, other two fish doing ok. Assuming they make it the 14 days in cupermine and the suggested 15 days after that as a buffer, can I then assume they are ok and add them to dt.? I guess the bottom line is how will I know when the fish are ready to be tranfered to the dt without risking the dt to velvet again. Please let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT should stay fallow for 76+ days.

Since you were just observing the fish in qt for 30 days this does not eradicate ich or velvet.

Now, since you are treating with cupramine and not transfering to a sterile QT after 14 days, youll want to treat them in copper for a full 30 days.

After the 30 days is complete you can remove meds and observe until your DT has completed its fallow cycle.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually if you are going fallow and treating a QT, you want to treat with meds from day 1.
I drop new fish into predosed copper water @ 1ppm. Then raise above 2ppm over 3 days.

No losses yet treating this way.
But ive lost plenty by just observing first.
They are usually if not always very sick from the suppliers....wouldnt take chance in todays market.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused by your story and question.....but I would add that fallow period for velvet shouldn't be near as long as 76 days. 6 weeks should be plenty.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back