Confused in how start dosing Kalk

Kamila89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!!! I have a 135g tank,I’m dosing 2 parts Cal around 2.5ml/3ml per day and Kh around 4ml per day with a dosing pump.
My tank is a year old LPS dominant and I haven’t seen a mayor coral grow. I knew that ph is very important so I tried other methods to rise it from 7.8 to at least 8 which It’s right now but I’ll like to bump it just a bit higher to 8.3 so maybe that will help to coral grown. I wanted to tried Kalk since I started adding corals but I was scare to mess it up but I’m ready, I had order Avast Kalk stirred and ph controller.
My questions are I have a GHL 4 head doser can I use it with my Ato so can dose fresh water to the stirred? Or I need an independent dosing pump that pump slower that the one I have? The evaporation rate is around 3000ml per day,I’ll have to divide 3000 and 24?or how can calculate the exact dose?

OP
OP
Kamila89

Kamila89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off your 2 part addition, I would start to dose 150 ml of kalkwasser per day spaced out throughout the day and night if possible. Measure alkalinity every day initially and adjust kalk amount until you acheive your desired alkalinity. I would run the ATO independent of kalk.

Welcome!
Welcome to Reef2Reef! I'm sure that others will jump in soon, but I wanted to specifically welcome you to this amazing forum!
I appreciate!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kamila89

Kamila89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I have the Avast kalk stirrer as well. I feed freshwater to it via a Versa dosing pump. Others use a continuous doser to drip all the time.

I personally would never tie my ato to kalk dosing -- but I'm in southern California so evaporation is very uneven due to air conditioning as well as just not giving me the control I want.

My experience was that I had to fiddle at the beginning to make sure I found the right balance of alk levels and pH and salinity.

Nowadays I don't even think about the ATO or even calcium levels. I do test once a week though and buff up calcium or mag as needed. I refresh the kalk stirrer once a week

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kamila89

Kamila89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched some YouTube videos in how to setup the Kalk stirrer and what I understood was that one line is connected to your dosing pump to the Ato and the other line to pump to the Stirrer ? If so, it’s better get an independent dosing pump to do this? I have 2 more pumps left from my GHL 4 heads system.

Upvote 0

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!
Goofy Movie Hello GIF

Upvote 0

Derby City Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters I would never chase ph
If the corals look happy and healthy don’t mess with a good thing
If you want to increase your ph try fresh air to the skimmer or co2 buffing
If this doesn’t work raise your Alk some using soda ash we keep our Alk at 9 dkh and never have a issue with ph

kalkwasser will also dose Alk and cal in equal parts to the system to watch your parameters closely if you still decide to use kalkwasser

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kamila89

Kamila89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters I would never chase ph
If the corals look happy and healthy don’t mess with a good thing
If you want to increase your ph try fresh air to the skimmer or co2 buffing
If this doesn’t work raise your Alk some using soda ash we keep our Alk at 9 dkh and never have a issue with ph

kalkwasser will also dose Alk and cal in equal parts to the system to watch your parameters closely if you still decide to use kalkwasse

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back