Connecting DIY LEDs to Apex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to hook up my DIY LED fixture to my Apex in order to control dimming and such as the current controller on the fixture doesn't allow for that in an easy fashion. I understand that the Apex requires a 0-10V input in order to be able to dim the device connected, however, my current drivers, Mean Well ELN-60-48P, use a PWM signal for dimming. Looking at other drivers that use a 0-10V dimming signal, it may be an easier alternative for me to get a PWM converter and connect that to each driver as opposed to getting all new drivers. I'm pretty handy, hence the DIY fixture, but by no means an electrician. Looking at converters, I found this one on Amazon, and was wondering if this should serve my purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Anal...&qid=1478273459&sr=8-4&keywords=pwm+converter

Or this one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-5V-0-10V-...81cc64&pid=100338&rk=1&rkt=30&sd=252509231378

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they are not the same (they are doing the opposite thing). The one on ebay seems to have potential. You will hook the controller to the apex which outputs 0-10v...the controller will read the 0-10v input, from the apex, and converts that to PWM for your LED fixture...

OP
OP
tomtom2245

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they are not the same (they are doing the opposite thing). The one on ebay seems to have potential. You will hook the controller to the apex which outputs 0-10v...the controller will read the 0-10v input, from the apex, and converts that to PWM for your LED fixture...

So the eBay one will convert a 0-10V input to PWM output whereas the Amazon one will convert a PWM input to a 0-10V output? They don't function both ways, it's only a one way flow? Just trying to understand and thanks for the help.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is how I read it. I could be wrong but I doubt it in this case.

So the eBay one will convert a 0-10V input to PWM output whereas the Amazon one will convert a PWM input to a 0-10V output? They don't function both ways, it's only a one way flow? Just trying to understand and thanks for the help.

OP
OP
tomtom2245

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just get one from Steve's Led's and know it will work....

http://www.stevesleds.com/Aquarium-Controller-Interface-Harness_p_183.html

Thanks for that link! It would be nice if I only need to get the one interface, however, this one states its for Meanwell LDD drivers which mine are not. I believe those drivers are newer than the ones I am running. Mine is a Meanwell ELN-60-48P. Do you know by chance it this will work with my drivers or should I email Steve's LEDs and check with them?

That is how I read it. I could be wrong but I doubt it in this case.

Thanks!

Marc.The.Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it'll work. You're just converting the dimming signal, doesn't matter what kind of driver it is. The LDD's need an outside power source, yours is built in to each driver. Different way of doing the same thing

OP
OP
tomtom2245

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it'll work. You're just converting the dimming signal, doesn't matter what kind of driver it is. The LDD's need an outside power source, yours is built in to each driver. Different way of doing the same thing

Awesome! So then looking at that interface, it has a slot for a +5V or 6V-35V power supply. I'm guessing then that this interface requires its own power supply as well?

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A other option is to just swap out the ELN-60-48P with ELN-60-48D drivers.

OP
OP
tomtom2245

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A other option is to just swap out the ELN-60-48P with ELN-60-48D drivers.

I had looked at that option but I would need three new drivers and the one interface board is less than the cost of one driver. If the interface board doesn't work, then I will most likely swap out the drivers.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back