Connecting RODI under the sink. Help!

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Sobo's Reef, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef Valuable Member

So I’m moving into a new house soon and my kitchen faucet is a fancy one so I cannot hook it straight up to the faucet. I’m going to have to hook it up underneath and I have no idea how to do that.. here’s what it looks like. Any help would be awesome!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

Tags:

2. OrionN

OrionN Anemones R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

If I am you, I would get a T and divert the cold water line into two, each with separate shut off. Use one of this for the sink and the other is where you hook up to your RO system. You also use a saddle pierce to put the wast water line into the drain of the sink.. That is all you need to connect to the water. Now just to find room for the RO system and the pressurized water tank. If you have a way to get the water up to the sink and have a drinking faucet, your family would really appreciate it., and you can say that you put in the RO filter for drinking, not for your reef.

3. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

200808-reverse-osmosis-ro-ez-faucet-adapter-qc-grouped-a.jpg 4000091200rs (1).jpg 100012-reverse-osmosis-ro-inline-ball-valve-push-connect-qc-grouped-a.jpg that should get you started. All available from BRS. The first fitting goes in line to your sink. The second one goes into your sinks drain, and the third is a shut off valve :)

Js.Aqua.Project and Sobo's Reef like this.
  4. Sobo's Reef

Thanks guys.. I’ve never done this before and prob won’t do it for another week or 2 but I’ll probably be on YouTube a lot looking at tutorial videos! Lol

wesman42 likes this.
  5. OrionN

OrionN Anemones R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Very easy. Just plan ahead and make sure you have all the correct parts.
    IMO, the valve to turn water On/Off for the RO system is a must. The valve to turn the storage tank On/Off is also a must. Minimal cost and effort now, but it make working on, and changing filters later so much easier and with no loss of water.

Sobo's Reef likes this.
  6. wesman42

wesman42 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

That's usually how I do it, then I usually break something and make 4-5 trips to the hardware.

Sobo's Reef likes this.
  7. nate's reef

nate's reef Member

I'm not sure what that thing under your sink is.

If you have a water softener somewhere in the house there is usually a garden hose connection right before it actually goes into the softener, hooking it up there is usually easier ime.

Otherwise yeah, just use a T or Y style splitter, just make sure the water coming out of the faucet IS NOT RODI. Some builds will have you pump the rodi water out the faucet like it's an RO water filter for household use, will likely make you very sick long term.

If its RO water it wont hurt you and is good even for babies.
    If its RODI water, there is some evidence the water will interact with open sores in the GI tract or strip nutrients from your body. I would never let my kids drink RODI

8. Sobo's Reef

What thing are you referring to? The garbage disposal?

9. nate's reef

nate's reef Member

Yes sir, cant say I've had one but that's what I thought it was. Wasn't sure if it was some mini softener or something.

Yeah, I would recommend just using the softener if possible, otherwise just do your build under the sink.

Really the only important thing I wanted to add is, do not drink the RODI water, and definitely do not let pregnant women or your children drink it. The diionization makes it more similar to paint thinner than traditional water

Sobo's Reef likes this.
  10. SandJ

SandJ Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Sobo's Reef likes this.
  11. JoshH

JoshH Swimming in the deep end... R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Hammer100, rossco, mtraylor and 2 others like this.
  12. Sobo's Reef

13. JoshH

JoshH Swimming in the deep end... R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Yes sir, the threaded ends are straight through flow to your sink and the valve is strictly for the RODI line:)

PerplexyHexy and Sobo's Reef like this.
  14. Sobo's Reef

This may be a stupid question but since my rodi line is 1/4” I’m assuming I should be buying everything as 1/4” right?

15. JoshH

No such thing as a stupid question. You are correct, ideally you will be purchasing everything in 1/4" RODI sizing, so if you purchase that particular valve you will be looking for the 3/8" × 3/8" × 1/4" (your sink plumbing will the 3/8" part of that).

16. Sobo's Reef

Awesome, thank you!

JoshH likes this.
  17. JoshH

You're welcome, lots of good advice above as well, any other questions feel free to ask, that's what we are all here for. Make sure you grab yourself some teflon tape for the threads on that valve if thats the one you go with. And seriously again, no such thing as a stupid question, ever. A question now ALWAYS saves a headache later and that goes for every aspect of the hobby.:)

18. Buckeye Hydro

Buckeye Hydro Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

leahfiish likes this.
  19. Buckeye Hydro

Best to supply softened water to the RO system, and that will allow you to change your flow restrictor and save on waste water considerably.

20. Buckeye Hydro

Although not ideal for drinking, RODI really isn't similar to paint thinner.

Draft saved Draft deleted