Connecting RODI under the sink. Help!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that pipes definitely a drain for the garbage disposal?? How big of a hole am I drilling?

That is definately the drain for the garbage disposal, the instructions on the fitting will tell you exactly what size of hole to drill in the pipe. I have never had to use that type of fitting before, so I can't tell you exactly what size it is, if I had to guess it would be a 3/16" hole.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definately the drain for the garbage disposal, the instructions on the fitting will tell you exactly what size of hole to drill in the pipe. I have never had to use that type of fitting before, so I can't tell you exactly what size it is, if I had to guess it would be a 3/16" hole.

If the line is 1/4” wouldn’t that be the size you would drill?

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question @JoshH... let’s say I move in a year (don’t plan on it) and I disconnect the rodi line from where I pierced the drain pipe. It’s okay to leave that piercer on there right? It wouldn’t leak?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question @JoshH... let’s say I move in a year (don’t plan on it) and I disconnect the rodi line from where I pierced the drain pipe. It’s okay to leave that piercer on there right? It wouldn’t leak?

There are cheap plugs you buy and they just push in to the RODI fitting and seal it

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems at all my friend! Thanks again!

No problem atall, if I'm not around and you're having an issue you can call in the reefsquad to help you out by using the hashtag # Reefsquad but without the space between the # and the word. There are quite a few others who can help you out there as well

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem atall, if I'm not around and you're having an issue you can call in the reefsquad to help you out by using the hashtag # Reefsquad but without the space between the # and the word. There are quite a few others who can help you out there as well

Sounds good!!

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is water constantly flowing thru the ice maker line? Do I need to shut something off before snipping it to add a Tee?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes water will be constantly flowing in that line, you might have to shut off the water to your rental and drain the plumbing, easy to do just give me a second.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eb237332fbcbfafb4c65de66595c9d4a.jpg
I already have it mounted in the heater room. And I have the connections I need on the feed line, just gotta make a quick snip and attach the Tee. Think a lot of water will come out if I just try and do it really quick? Lol

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eb237332fbcbfafb4c65de66595c9d4a.jpg
I already have it mounted in the heater room. And I have the connections I need on the feed line, just gotta make a quick snip and attach the Tee. Think a lot of water will come out if I just try and do it really quick? Lol

If you close the valve and shut the water off, you can probably get away with a quick cut and pushing things together... but with the water on, let's just say I wouldn't do it..

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow really? That much water is coming through huh? That’s crazy I never would’ve thought that. Good thing I asked first! Hahaha so I’m assuming the valve is outside?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you close the valve and shut the water off, you can probably get away with a quick cut and pushing things together... but with the water on, let's just say I wouldn't do it..
I agree with JoshH, turn it off first
funny-boy-shoots-face-hose.gif

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow really? That much water is coming through huh? That’s crazy I never would’ve thought that. Good thing I asked first! Hahaha so I’m assuming the valve is outside?

It could be, I'm having a look through your old posts to see if I can find it

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright you got lucky here, all you have to do is shut off the needle valve attached to the tubing for the fridge above the red arrow. Once it's off, make the cut, the water from the fridge line will slowly drain out but that's not the end of the world if you have a 5 Gallon bucket. Then you can re connect everything and turn the valve back on:)
Screenshot_20181112-175257.jpg

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright you got lucky here, all you have to do is shut off the needle valve attached to the tubing for the fridge above the red arrow. Once it's off, make the cut, the water from the fridge line will slowly drain out but that's not the end of the world if you have a 5 Gallon bucket. Then you can re connect everything and turn the valve back on:)
Screenshot_20181112-175257.jpg

Turn clockwise I’m assuming?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back