Considerations for building a fish room

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to finish my basement and in the plans is a fish room. Currently it's a blank slate, concrete floor and exterior walls. 2" foam insulation will be used in the rest of the basement and also planning on using it in the fish room since it doubles as a vapor barrier. Besides that I'm not sure which way to go, I'd imagine there are other considerations for the moisture. Any suggestions or references would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an exhaust fan over my tank that exhausts outside the house. That is really needed because my tank evaporates more than a gallon a day and all of that water wants to cling to the walls and (in my case) furnature.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely planing on a fan with some kind of humidistat. Just worried about it sucking out too much heat. The area where the fish room will be will also house the oil tank and some plumbing from our home. I'm just don't want to finish and then realize I should have done something else. The rest of the basement will have a drop ceiling, should I do something different in the fish room?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My basement is set up the same way with a drop ceiling. My tank has been in a closet in the finished basement for about 37 years, no problems after I installed the fan over the tank. But you need to vent it outside. The tank also generates heat so I don't think the heat loss is a big problem. You need to get the humidity out

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%

Back