Considering a controller

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering a controller. I currently have a 20G Nano tank. Some of the equipment I run: Ai Prime lights, Ai Nero 3, Ranco Temp Controller w/ titanium heater, Tunze 3155 Osmoreg.

Regarding the controller I am really looking for the the ability to monitor tank conditions while I am away from the house and react to any potential issues that may arise. As well as adding more tech going forward.

My main question is does any of my current equipment benefit from any of the controller brands (neptune, ghl, hydros). Would I be able to monitor and control my equipment if needed or would I need to repurchase equipment that falls under those brands umbrella.

Thanks!

OP
OP
C

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just looking to monitor the basics like temp/pH and leak detection they all work. Each has unique additions that can benefit different users.

The question to ask is, what are you looking to control and what insights are you attempting to gain?
I guess for example if the tank were overheating shut off the heater through app if I weren't home. Or possibly add a feeding mode where the Nero would slow down/ shut off for a certain amount of time.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use controllers on each of two nanos too. As far as I'm concerned it's money well spent. My primary use is to monitor in general, but specifically control temp. Temp can be a big issue in a nano. If (when!) my tank gets hotter than I'd like, the controller turns off various things to keep heat down. First the uv is turned off, then the circulation pump that drives the uv, then the light. It's a lifesaver even for this simple application.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(for this level of control, I use very old apex controllers. One I bought new in 2011, the other I bought used super duper cheap.)

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess for example if the tank were overheating shut off the heater through app if I weren't home. Or possibly add a feeding mode where the Nero would slow down/ shut off for a certain amount of time.

All the controllers listed would do those for you, I would go for whichever you find to be the best "value". Perhaps assess potential long term needs; ex do you want automated testing and or dosing? Then make a decision

If it's just heater control/feeding a used Apex as suggested above would likely be a great value.

OP
OP
C

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(for this level of control, I use very old apex controllers. One I bought new in 2011, the other I bought used super duper cheap.)
This is good to know! So in terms of heating control, I really like my Ranco/ heater combo. However I have no idea what's going on when im not home. So can the controller add a sort of extra level of redundancy as well as mobile monitoring and control for me.

I can use the controllers power strip and control on/ off from anywhere with service right?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good to know! So in terms of heating control, I really like my Ranco/ heater combo. However I have no idea what's going on when im not home. So can the controller add a sort of extra level of redundancy as well as mobile monitoring and control for me.

I can use the controllers power strip and control on/ off from anywhere with service right?

Yes, but if you want wifi functionality on the old controllers you will need to add it. Otherwise they can be networked with cat5 or run stand alone. I used to really like to see what was happening remotely, but not I pretty much just automate everything.

What a controller can do that the ranco can't is complex control of multiple devices. For example, if temp = 75, (heat on, uv pump on uv light on, aquarium light on) if temp = 78.5 (heat off, uv pump on, uv light on,aquarium light on), if temp= 80 ( heat off, uv pump on, uv light OFF ,aquarium light on), if temp =81 (heat off, uv pump off, uv light OFF ,aquarium light on), if temp= 82 (heat off, uv pump OFF, uv light OFF ,aquarium light OFF)

For this to work, you don't need an app or to actively do anything, which is the whole point of a controller.

OP
OP
C

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but if you want wifi functionality on the old controllers you will need to add it. Otherwise they can be networked with cat5 or run stand alone. I used to really like to see what was happening remotely, but not I pretty much just automate everything.

What a controller can do that the ranco can't is complex control of multiple devices. For example, if temp = 75, (heat on, uv pump on uv light on, aquarium light on) if temp = 78.5 (heat off, uv pump on, uv light on,aquarium light on), if temp= 80 ( heat off, uv pump on, uv light OFF ,aquarium light on), if temp =81 (heat off, uv pump off, uv light OFF ,aquarium light on), if temp= 82 (heat off, uv pump OFF, uv light OFF ,aquarium light OFF)

For this to work, you don't need an app or to actively do anything, which is the whole point of a controller.
Gotcha makes sense. I appreciate your thorough example!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha makes sense. I appreciate your thorough example!

I picked up an old apex Jr for one of the tanks for $70. It was a no brainer IMHO. That's the sweet spot as far as I see it. Basic controls are all I need for that system. In a big tank I would do a full featured modern controller.

OP
OP
C

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an old apex Jr for one of the tanks for $70. It was a no brainer IMHO. That's the sweet spot as far as I see it. Basic controls are all I need for that system. In a big tank I would do a full featured modern controller.
Cool, i will be on the lookout for a deal on a used controller!

DevilDuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FYI, I don't think there are any controllers out in the market now that can control an AI Nero. You'll have to schedule your feeding times via the app or have the controller shut off power to the Nero when you are in feeding mode.

OP
OP
C

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I don't think there are any controllers out in the market now that can control an AI Nero. You'll have to schedule your feeding times via the app or have the controller shut off power to the Nero when you are in feeding mode.
Makes sense, i emailed coralvue and they said my current equipment is not compatible with Hydros/ although I still see tons of benefits for investing in a controller

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense, i emailed coralvue and they said my current equipment is not compatible with Hydros/ although I still see tons of benefits for investing in a controller
You can use the Hydros or any of the others as a backup to you heater controller. I would split the wattage on the heater between two heaters and two controllers if possible. Use two separate outlets on the controller also. Below is a heater output setting like what you would use. The Ranco settings would be set about 3 degrees or more below the controller setting. The controller would stay on unless the temp goes above the off temp and will turn back on when it goes below the on temp. Also the output has a minimum off times set for 2 minutes. So if the output is off over 2 minutes it will send an alert that the outlet was off for too long. Below are two screensots of this setup on the Hydros. It would not all fit on one screen.

DB979E13-6588-4EE3-8A6B-A1B9FD1F5B17.png

71AF30A3-7393-46E0-A6ED-3609D54834AD.png

OP
OP
C

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the Hydros or any of the others as a backup to you heater controller. I would split the wattage on the heater between two heaters and two controllers if possible. Use two separate outlets on the controller also. Below is a heater output setting like what you would use. The Ranco settings would be set about 3 degrees or more below the controller setting. The controller would stay on unless the temp goes above the off temp and will turn back on when it goes below the on temp. Also the output has a minimum off times set for 2 minutes. So if the output is off over 2 minutes it will send an alert that the outlet was off for too long. Below are two screensots of this setup on the Hydros. It would not all fit on one screen.

DB979E13-6588-4EE3-8A6B-A1B9FD1F5B17.png

71AF30A3-7393-46E0-A6ED-3609D54834AD.png
This is very cool thanks!

icedearth15324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my large tank I run an Apex system, which has a lot of other things. For my nano, I just run a Hydros. Very basic setup, but I like being able to access stuff for it remotely.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back