Considering tank mates for Picasso Trigger today.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trio of Domino Damsels and a Javas Rabbit fish sound okay w a picasso?

I know the joke for people looking for tamk mates for dominoes is always "a trigger"

And if i go with these then it looks to me like an agressive butterfly is about the only remaining suitable addition to this motley crue???

Standard 90G.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is he; they do grow slow so the 90 will be fine for years, but likely not his whole life. They can make good room mates when they are gotten at a smaller size and kept with proper tank mates. The rabbitfish will be fine, damsels as well. I'm not sure what you mean by an aggressive butterfly, they are only aggressive toward other butterflys; otherwise quite wimpy in regards to housing with a trigger. A raccoon might pull it off, maybe also look into a dwarf angel. Secret to keeping any trigger besides adequate tank size is not to crowd them. So you are correct in limiting your stock.

OP
OP
Newb73

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at a Bicolor Angel today but surprisingly, my lfs store guy talked me out if it....said the dwarf angel wouldnt fare well with the picasso.

The picasso is a little over 2 inches.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at a Bicolor Angel today but surprisingly, my lfs store guy talked me out if it....said the dwarf angel wouldnt fare well with the picasso.

The picasso is a little over 2 inches.

I wouldn't count him out, if you really like him; do some more research to see what you find. If he is around the same size and at least not smaller he should be fine. The only thing to be aware of is that they can be difficult to feed, so i would make sure he is eating well.

OP
OP
Newb73

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't count him out, if you really like him; do some more research to see what you find. If he is around the same size and at least not smaller he should be fine. The only thing to be aware of is that they can be difficult to feed, so i would make sure he is eating well.
Oh i know.

I had a bi-color dwarf in that very same tank for 5 years. He passed last spring. RIP.

Mine eould eat zoas so having one ever go into a reef is a no-go but as a non reef safe fish they are among my favorite.

OP
OP
Newb73

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update

Picasso Trigger
3x Domino Damsels
Mated pair of Tomato clowns.
Java Rabbit
Box fish.

The box fish hangs out in a small in tank refugium i store harvested Chaeto in before taking to to lfs so i may have too much flow in the tank for it.

Other than that, all is well.

Might add a few yellowtail damsels.

1a8fe5bdc70fc5614e22b652c3a06bc5.jpg
b98731edf34e3aac252f3065a53157fb.jpg
be4fca69a5a7fabe6b27beb09b564b7e.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back