Constant algae problem. Diatomes maybe?

JLark

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2023
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
los angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Newbie to keeping tanks and about 7 months in to owning! I love it and my tank is doing great except for this pest of an algae problem. I do weekly water changes and clean up the algae on the sand but it keeps coming back. Could it be diatomes? I’ve included 2 photos one with blue and one with white

Thanks in advance for everyone’s help :)

IMG_3291.jpeg IMG_3290.jpeg
 
Do you have it just in the sand, or is it also on the rocks?
 
Do you have it just in the sand, or is it also on the rocks?
This part is mostly the sand

But here’s a pic of what I get on my rocks
This is when I needed to clean my tank I’ve since scrubbed this away from my rocks and it’s very minimal in my tank now. It’s really only the sand now
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3194.jpeg
    IMG_3194.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 70
As stated above it does look like it may be Dinos. What are your nutrient levels at? If you have an LFS near by that has a microscope they should be able to confirm for you. If it is Dinos once you know the strain you can determine what the best course of treatment is. While they can be a pain to battle it is definitely a fight you can win with some time and discipline.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new