Controller Comparison

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only issues I have with it is the wiring\port layout and that there is no built-in ethernet and I have to connect it to my PC every time I want to change the code......

He's got a Bluetooth module now iirc..
I'll agree it's somewhat tedious because it's not as concisely documented as the apex. That's their win. But heck, duplicating the 1800$ setup or w/e I had takes less than 1000$ with the RA..lol..

Not to mention there's not a single controller out there afaik, that tops the 'leak rope detector'. Everyone else expects there to be water in one spot if your tank leaks. :|

Still interested to see the archon since it can use RA stuff, but people talk so much smack about DA, let alone they've been taking preorders awhile now.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex has been around the longest at 17 years and for good reason. You don't last that long in the controller game for selling crap. Everyone I know that originally bought another brand of controller ended up upgrading to an Apex. Because they were just not getting everything they wanted out of the other controllers and they seen that I was with my Apex. Hands down the Apex is your best option in my opinion. It has the best versatility for controlling hardware and the most granular programmable options around. You can select the advanced option and program with simple 'if' \ 'then' statements for your setting needs. Or you can select a pre-programmed option for easy use.

I myself would be worried to buy one of the competitors and have them go out of business in a few years. Like so many other controllers that have done so over then year except Apex. I have had no issues with mine so far and i love it.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thought I had on the Apex as well, is don't believe what they say.
When the WXM came out, they literally (check their forum) said they would be working on implementing the functions they didn't add, that the reeflink does by default.
It's been how many years since the WXM came out? 4 now? I literally had to complain on the forums over a period of almost a year to get someone to tell me the truth of 'we're never adding that functionality'. (that's called shady business)

Once you give them your money, you're at their mercy because you can't change anything. This is the advantage of open source hardware and software.
Don't like it? You can change it.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't get teased by what the Apex "doesn't have". lets be real, in the reefing game, you definitely get what you pay for. idk about any of you guys or girls... but i'll drop the extra dollars on peace of mind and exceptional customer service over cheaply made and not as thoroughly researched and developed products 10 times over. while NOTHING out there is perfect, i believe Neptune systems to be the closest to achieving what we're all looking for. trust the facts man, go with the Apex

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I felt when I sold my DA and bought an Apex. I normally try and keep my "reviews" limited because of my position in the reefing community but I can't let this one slide! HA! After about 5 temp probes and still not working I kicked DA to the curb!

It was a relief to switch to the Apex.

I overlooked a lot of issues when I had my DA stuff running, But now
after switching to the Apex I now realize just how bad the DA stuff is.

Once someone actually Owns an Apex they will clearly see the difference in quality.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't get teased by what the Apex "doesn't have". lets be real, in the reefing game, you definitely get what you pay for. idk about any of you guys or girls... but i'll drop the extra dollars on peace of mind and exceptional customer service over cheaply made and not as thoroughly researched and developed products 10 times over. while NOTHING out there is perfect, i believe Neptune systems to be the closest to achieving what we're all looking for. trust the facts man, go with the Apex

To me the piece of mind is the most important part, the controller is a tool to assest me.
I want to pretty much set it and forget it so I can enjoy my tank.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought the apex was hilarious because of the 'leak detectors'.
It's this little 3" x 4" brick. Like they expect the tank to leak right where you put it. :|

Reef Angel has a rope that you can put all around the base of the tank.

Or perhaps how Apex has mainly TRIAC outlets, that don't work with 10 watt or less devices, that was always a pain.
Or perhaps how when the DOS came out, people kept reporting 'help! it dumped all of my alk solution into the tank!' or such.
Or perhaps how Apex never fully transitioned from the old control panel to the new Fusion site, so half of the functionality is on each, and if you ask them when they're going to finish Fusion, they talk to you like you're being unreasonable.. lol

I could go on, moral of the story, Apex is not a set it and forget it type of setup.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The highest quality, most robustly built (hardware and software) controller you can get is the GHL Profilux.
It's always been easy to use (way before Fusion was around) and it never catastrophically fails which IMHO is the most important.
Their downside is customer service. This is the big frustration amongst Profilux owners.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered an Apex for one reason... Fusion. It's the only controller with a really well thought out GUI on mobile and desktop.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered an Apex for one reason... Fusion. It's the only controller with a really well thought out GUI on mobile and desktop.

That's why I ordered it originally, but be prepared to wait, after 2 years they still haven't fully moved everything to fusion vs the classic craptastic control panel... They had the time to make like 3 or 4 products in that timeframe though! heh

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I ordered it originally, but be prepared to wait, after 2 years they still haven't fully moved everything to fusion vs the classic craptastic control panel... They had the time to make like 3 or 4 products in that timeframe though! heh
What can't be done with Fusion currently?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been set and forget

what am I missing?

Same here, it's been running for over 2 years now and never one hiccup. I control 2 tanks which include:

3x ph probes
3x temp probes
Orp
Salinity
3x eb8
1x eb4
Pm1
Pm2
Wxm
B/o box

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the Digital Aqiatics Archon! I have one and you can buy them with the 8 plug power strip. Linex based so the possibilities are endless but just as simple as the DA elite with net (had that also) to program. If your looking to get real fancy the new module for the Archon also has a PWM signal for you audrino lovers out there.

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run GHL Profilux, coming in from APEX, to date I somehow regret my decision, not because GHL is bad, on the contrary, it never fails, but as stated above, the customer support for this side of the world is next to nothing.
Apex has much wider support and availability of parts.

I might consider switching over in the future.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run GHL Profilux, coming in from APEX, to date I somehow regret my decision, not because GHL is bad, on the contrary, it never fails, but as stated above, the customer support for this side of the world is next to nothing.
Apex has much wider support and availability of parts.

I might consider switching over in the future.

I also had a Profilux and yes it worked quite well, but basically had poor support in the USA.
Digital Aquatics support was pretty much non-existent, plus with them I had real problems with the controller.

I'm very pleased with my Apex and the Neptune company.
As far as I can tell they really are number one, and that equates out to a much
larger installed used base and in turn results in far more willing to assist you.

Owning a Profilux was akin to having a BMW in a town full of Fords.
Sure it was nice but nobody knew how to work on it and the support was far away.

Owning an APEX is like owing a Ford everybody knows about them.
Plus parts and help are available practically everywhere.

Owning a Digital aquatics was like owning a Yugo

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back