Controller Comparison

bluwtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at purchasing a controller and am looking for simple opinions on different devices. I've looked at Apex, Reef Angel and Puratek. I know Apex seems to have the best/widest brand recognition with RA a close second. RA seems to be the best for true customization due to it's software. I stumbled across the Puratek and it seems awesome, but I've not found any end user reviews. So, having said all of this, please fire away and please give me your preferences and a quick why.

Thanks!

OP
OP
bluwtr

bluwtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've glanced at them as well. To me what I'm seeing is that they ALL are basically the same--some may have one feature that other don't and vice versa. Price difference seems to be the biggest difference that I've noticed however.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also looked at them all and have owned the Profilux, Reefkeeper Lite and Reefkeeper Elite

I Now run the Neptune Apex. As you have found the Apex has the largest following.
It is an extremely flexible controller and nobody else has the Fusion interface
that really tends to put them out in front.

My best advise is before you buy really look at the service side of
all of them some of the vendors out there have very poor support
(that was why I switched from the Reefkeeper to the Apex.)

Reef Angel looks OK and some really seem to like the the Puratek
But at the end of the day the Apex really is the front leader.

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also looking into this. what's the difference between ORP and salinity probe? I am not dosing ozone , are these 2 probes do the same?

Price wise, seems they are the same. I am looking 3 basic control: Temp (safety backup to my 2 Eheim heaters), pH (just for info) and Salinity (safety backup to my Tunze ATO). My tank is 120 gallon with 5 gallon Kalk Solution top off control with Tinze ATO

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also looking into this. what's the difference between ORP and salinity probe? I am not dosing ozone , are these 2 probes do the same?

Price wise, seems they are the same. I am looking 3 basic control: Temp (safety backup to my 2 Eheim heaters), pH (just for info) and Salinity (safety backup to my Tunze ATO). My tank is 120 gallon with 5 gallon Kalk Solution top off control with Tinze ATO

ORP - is a measurement of the Oxidation-Reduction Potential
Salinity - is a measurement of the Salinity

They are two different measurements and I measure neither one

Salinity can be checked quickly with a refractometer, and should not change (execptt by a very small amount) in a normal aquarium setup.
It can be used as a fail-safe for those who have a top off plumbed directly to their RODI unit but in my opinion that is not best practice.
(in all my years of reefing I have never seen a large swing in my salinity)

ORP is best described Here

OP
OP
bluwtr

bluwtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Harry_Y, your answer is exactly what I'm looking for. Like you say all brands have their die-hard following and they all do almost the exact things. It boils down to customer service/after sale help. A cheap unit with no after purchase help is not "cheap" anymore whereas an expensive unit with 24/7 help is worth a ton more.

Thanks again.

Wes

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Harry_Y, your answer is exactly what I'm looking for. Like you say all brands have their die-hard following and they all do almost the exact things. It boils down to customer service/after sale help. A cheap unit with no after purchase help is not "cheap" anymore whereas an expensive unit with 24/7 help is worth a ton more.

Thanks again.

Wes

Thank you

The live stock in my Aquarium was far more costly than the controller,
So with that in mind my main concern was/is stability and support.

mniemann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Digital Aquatics.. I've had no issue but it is not MAC friendly when it comes time to update firmware.

OP
OP
bluwtr

bluwtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed about the cost of our livestock let alone just the responsibility of our having them.

I am an Android person so I wouldn't have the DA firmware issue.

At first RA was the one I kept going back to, but I'm really looking hard at the Puratek. The softwares that are part of it do what I like, especially the graphing of parameters. That part of the program is actually kind of weird because about four years ago I developed a spreadsheet that looks very much like their graphs as well as what they display. I built in a running average and so does theirs--go figure. LOL!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Digital Aquatics.. I've had no issue but it is not MAC friendly when it comes time to update firmware.
With the Archon it dosen't matter what you are using. You can update the firmware form you phone if you want. It is web based interface and is its own computer.

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at purchasing a controller and am looking for simple opinions on different devices. I've looked at Apex, Reef Angel and Puratek. I know Apex seems to have the best/widest brand recognition with RA a close second. RA seems to be the best for true customization due to it's software. I stumbled across the Puratek and it seems awesome, but I've not found any end user reviews. So, having said all of this, please fire away and please give me your preferences and a quick why.

If your looking for a controller to set your mind at ease or to get your tank fully controlled you have to realize that with the apex if you want to hook it up to your hydras or radions for example you have to go spend another $100 to get that add on. Personally you'd have to spend an upwards of $800 to get your tank correctly controllable and even then your probably only going to use it to see if your tanks temperature is stable or if there's any failure in power. If your at work all day and barely at home then it's worth it but if your at home a good period of the day and don't work or go on vacations a lot then you don't really need a controller.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a reef angel for years. It is upgradable to do pretty much anything and there are no limits to what you can program it to do. It is definitely geared towards the person who wants more DIY access to their equipment than the rest of the bunch.

If money isn't a concern, Apex seems to rule the roost. I've also heard good things about Archon and Puratek.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a Reef Angel for two years. It's rock solid and does what I need. My only complaint is the number and type of wires coming out of the head unit makes it difficult to do a clean looking wiring job. At first I thought I was going to do a lot of custom programming, but the RA wizard does a pretty good job of generating most of what I need, so my custom programming is very little. I like the iPhone app for it too, and the web portal is OK. Not as slick as Apex fusion by any means, but quite functional.

Powderbluetang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Apex but I wished they had a Calcium / ALK / Magnesium continuous reading probe option. I wouldnt mind pay for the module. It just simplifies everything evermore.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ditched the apex when I had the vp of sales tell me:
we want it simple like macs for average users
nobody asks for mathematical functions
you will never be able to store a variable
we will never update the wxm to support the radion acclimation mode, lightning/cloud percents, or sunrise/sunset funcationality, these settings only confuse users
and the final statement that sold me on Neptune NOT being the company I wanted to invest in:
I'll arrange for you to return your apex so we can end your misery and you can find bliss with a reef angel, DA, or w/e unit

So I returned my almost 2000$ worth of overpriced crap and got an RA :)

Haven't missed their stuff since.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ditched the apex when I had the vp of sales tell me:
we want it simple like macs for average users
nobody asks for mathematical functions
you will never be able to store a variable
we will never update the wxm to support the radion acclimation mode, lightning/cloud percents, or sunrise/sunset funcationality, these settings only confuse users
and the final statement that sold me on Neptune NOT being the company I wanted to invest in:
I'll arrange for you to return your apex so we can end your misery and you can find bliss with a reef angel, DA, or w/e unit

So I returned my almost 2000$ worth of overpriced crap and got an RA :)

Haven't missed their stuff since.

That's how I felt when I sold my DA and bought an Apex. I normally try and keep my "reviews" limited because of my position in the reefing community but I can't let this one slide! HA! After about 5 temp probes and still not working I kicked DA to the curb!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I felt when I sold my DA and bought an Apex. I normally try and keep my "reviews" limited because of my position in the reefing community but I can't let this one slide! HA! After about 5 temp probes and still not working I kicked DA to the curb!
That is odd. I have 5 temp probes from DA. Some date back to 2008. I have not had one failure. I am still using the original pH probe from 2008.

gojk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 RK lites before changing to the Apex. Best decision ever. DA was horrible in terms of support and follow through on promises that they make.

psirex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a Reef Angel for two years. It's rock solid and does what I need. My only complaint is the number and type of wires coming out of the head unit makes it difficult to do a clean looking wiring job. At first I thought I was going to do a lot of custom programming, but the RA wizard does a pretty good job of generating most of what I need, so my custom programming is very little. I like the iPhone app for it too, and the web portal is OK. Not as slick as Apex fusion by any means, but quite functional.
Only issues I have with it is the wiring\port layout and that there is no built-in ethernet and I have to connect it to my PC every time I want to change the code......

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back