Controller for a nano? Talk me out or in.

HeckleFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back 10 years ago with my 150 reef I had a controller.
Now back with a Fluval EVO which I'm upgrading, i have this desire to run a controller with it.
With all the development while I was away, I don't have a clue as to what is out there.
The tank is running or will be running by a week from now with a Noopsychee mini light, Hygger wavemaker, Fluval mini skimmer, standard filter with upgraded pump.
I want to do the basics monitor PH, Temp and anything else that might be appropriate. Suggestions?
ATO and water change system and maybe a dosing unit.
What's a good, fairly inexpensive, small system that I could start off and add to?

We're buying a house next year and will be doing a large 150+ tank and assume that I'll just buy it's own system and not try to buy a big system now and move it.
Or am I just drinking too much coral dip at night and over doing it?

(I actually did drink coral dip one night while on ambien. Never again.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep it simple.
My 20g aio nano cube was dosed by hand esv 2 part, ez trace,
Tunze ato out of a 5g bucket.
Carbon, some gfo when needed. Change floss, no heater as the room is 80° year round.
2 16hds for lighting and this is the system from day one until I took it down at 8 months.
This system got me to change my 45 frag system and 80g growout with 30g attatched to leds from Halides.
I dont think a controller would be needed but I dont run any systems with controllers.
20220126_162523.jpg

20221010_165536.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apex, Hydros, Reef Factory, and others are all modular/expandable to one degree or another. The parts that I would recommend be controlled with a nano is the lights and an ATO (in both cases the "control" is included in the product). IMO one reason to run a controller on the nano is if you want to learn how the controller works so you are more ready when you upgrade. Good luck with whatever you choose!

OP
OP
HeckleFish

HeckleFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex, Hydros, Reef Factory, and others are all modular/expandable to one degree or another. The parts that I would recommend be controlled with a nano is the lights and an ATO (in both cases the "control" is included in the product). IMO one reason to run a controller on the nano is if you want to learn how the controller works so you are more ready when you upgrade. Good luck with whatever you choose!
A big part of the enjoyment I get is the engineering geek aspect of the hobby.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
HeckleFish

HeckleFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to geek out then you may want to check out Reef-Pi, an open source controller system based on the Raspberry Pi. There is a full sub-forum on the Reef-Pi here on R2R.
And I have a Raspberry-Pi sitting unused ever since I kicked Home Assistant out of my life.

aleksanderalski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for something inexpensive but of a good quality, you should check Reef Factory gear. Everything unit is a standalone device without the need to invest any money in central computer. Thanks to that you don't have to invest a lot.

All devices connect through the wifi and are cloud based. You can control it remotely with a Smart Reef app with notifications etc.

In case you have questions PM me :)

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an A2 series Apex on my 15G Nuvo. It was a carry over from when I broke down my 100G tank last year, so something I already owned. I don't use it as a controller, but as a monitor. Sure, there are failsafe and fall back scripts programmed to turn equipment off if something goes bad, but I use it more to understand what my tank needs. For example, I know my ATO runs every 3 hours, I can see when my pH goes down and back up, and the ever reliable (joking) salinity probe let's me know if the ATO goes ary. It's definitely not needed but it does allow me to try some methods and get near real-time metrics on what's happening. And the Apex has the ability to track test results, send reminders, track notes, etc. If I was to do it over again, or purchase another controller for a new setup, I might consider the Hydros.

OP
OP
HeckleFish

HeckleFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for something inexpensive but of a good quality, you should check Reef Factory gear. Everything unit is a standalone device without the need to invest any money in central computer. Thanks to that you don't have to invest a lot.

All devices connect through the wifi and are cloud based. You can control it remotely with a Smart Reef app with notifications etc.

In case you have questions PM me :)
I like the looks and theory of this system, I just haven't been able to easily locate a retailer for it.
If I could, I might go with it. They list their distributor in California and I may try them .

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An apex JR with a 4 port energy bar is a good place to start if you're willing to spend the money. You could always build on that later. That along with a self contained ATO would be enough for me for a small tank, little bit of monitoring, room for a couple of sensors, little bit of control and safety that comes with the energy bar.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hydros on my 42 gallon hex tank. I have quite a bit automated with it. I did have a Archon and I have been slowly moving things over to the Hydros. I started in the garage where the three storage tanks are and the ATO, AWC and All For Reef dosing. The RODI is also there and the Hydros also controls it and refill my DI tank when it is low. ATO pulls from this tank along with a pump I can dispense into containers for other uses I need. I have a fresh saltwater tank that the AWC pulls from and it also has a pump I can dispense into container as needed. I also flush out the carbon reactor with this dispense pump before using it on the tank. When the fresh saltwater tank goes low it is refilled from the mix tank if the contents in the mix tank is ready to use. Once the transfer completes it fills the mix tank with DI from the RODI. All I have to do is add the salt mix and press a button when it is ready to use. I started with the X4 starter kit. That was over 2 years ago. I now have 9 controllers in my collective which acts like one large controller. With the Hydros all the modules are actually stand alone controllers which can act with others in a collective to create a controller with the sum of all inputs and outputs of all controllers in the collective. There are several different ones with different inputs and outputs so once you have on and need more inputs or output of a particular type then just get the one that matches you needs and add it to the collective. I have quite a bit of information on the Hydros on my build thread if interested. Click on my build thread contributor banner in one of my post to go to the build thread. The Hydros info starts on page 7.

aleksanderalski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the looks and theory of this system, I just haven't been able to easily locate a retailer for it.
If I could, I might go with it. They list their distributor in California and I may try them .
Easiest way right now is through direct online website: https://reeffactoryusa.com

Retailers will be appearing really soon, as we have just finished stocking our distributors.

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested in this too. Definitely a big geek and my little Evo V isn’t much to geek out on, it’s more of the “it ain’t much but it’s honest work” tank at the moment lol. The coral dip story gives me shivers but I get what you mean about waiting to upgrade we’re looking to get a house this coming year so hopefully by next year we’ll have a nice looking DT in the basement. Good luck! I’m anxious to see what you decide!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back