Converting 32 biocube into Rimless advice required

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got hands down 32g biocube off somone with the standard T5 lighting, and was thinking of converting the tank into a Rimless style taking off the hood and cutting the border off the tank if i do so does anyone know if i can keep the border and hood on with out the glue / silicone holding it down just till the tank cycles completely and i start moving everything from my smaller tank over

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see why not. I converted my 32 cube to a rimless. I added a screen top to keep fish in. The top sits below to tank so it still appears rimless
oh that sounds cool got any pictures maybe ill look at your style dont want any jumpers in my tank, also what kind of fish stock did you do, also noticed your in NJ so am i haha

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six line wrasse lawnmower Blenny Randall’s goby and two Clowns. Yes from Ocean county. Gimme a few I’ll see if I have any pics of it if not I will take when I get home from work

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F8099569-EB6D-49DF-AAF0-EE355E6088DB.jpeg

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I realized is what works for one may not work for another though. Depending on what you have in tank be careful
yah i was following somones script and really screwed myself with a massive algae breakup wiped half my tank too much algae couldnt stop it ill be probably doing my own build with like a 60 day increase slowly get the tank adjusted to the changes. think red and green isnt a good spec to keep in the light ima do more blue low light and very little others

Damphair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the David Saxby signature settings for my Prime HD and haven't had any algae issues as a result. Depending if you have the Prime or Prime HD some of the signature settings are missing the "HD" related settings.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the David Saxby signature settings for my Prime HD and haven't had any algae issues as a result. Depending if you have the Prime or Prime HD some of the signature settings are missing the "HD" related settings.
yah im using the PRIME HD

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you got that setting running a biocube aswell?

Damphair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you got that setting running a biocube aswell?

Yes that's correct. YMMV but it's working well for me so far. I've only had the light for a month, coming from a Kessil A160WE, so I haven't had it for too long.

The settings look a little "gimmicky" with the peaks and valleys to simulate cloud cover, but I find the levels of red/green are low enough to not cause algae to go out of control and the blues are great as well. Just watch how your stuff reacts and of course use that fancy acclimation feature.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's correct. YMMV but it's working well for me so far. I've only had the light for a month, coming from a Kessil A160WE, so I haven't had it for too long.

The settings look a little "gimmicky" with the peaks and valleys to simulate cloud cover, but I find the levels of red/green are low enough to not cause algae to go out of control and the blues are great as well. Just watch how your stuff reacts and of course use that fancy acclimation feature.
yeah thats the general idea my rock is coming in friday ill have the weekend to make a good land scape and glue it all down before i insert it all

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it difficult to turn this rimless?? I bought a biocube last week and don't really want to use the LED that us with it. I would rather use my radion xr30 with a mount, but it looks super ugly if you just take the lid off. I hadn't paid too much attention to the rim (it's still in the box) does it just pop off??

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy to remove this cube is an older tank possibly a JBJ the plastic trim was cracked so I pulled off and cleaned silicone off of tank with a sharp razor. All in all was very easy to do. Just took some time to clean all the silicone off

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy to remove this cube is an older tank possibly a JBJ the plastic trim was cracked so I pulled off and cleaned silicone off of tank with a sharp razor. All in all was very easy to do. Just took some time to clean all the silicone off
Thanks for the insight! I assume it might be a little bit harder with a brand new one, but slide a blade up in it and it should just pop off!:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back