Converting My 53G tank

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, hi everyone I’ve had this tank for years and I have finally decided to convert it to marine After my 20 gal tank crashed due to the heater breaking and reaching 40C!
I’m super excited to document my experience on this thread. I’m planning on using
Filter: Fluval U4
Light: Maxspect Jump
The rocks and sand from my current tank and some additional dry rocks and sand
For stocking I’m thinking about
dwarf fuzzy lion
Blue tang
Pair of clowns
I haven’t looked into the individual fish (how compatible they are, tank size E.g.) much yet but I would appreciate your opinions

165C27E0-F96A-4C98-BF0E-41FF52CD0753.jpeg

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!

As for your fish list -- 40g is too small for a Blue Tang (recommended over 125g for these). The clowns would be fine. I'm not familiar with keeping lion fish requirements, though.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion would be okay on its own, but you’ll probably run into issues with others in that size tank.
I’d go for a smaller scorpionfish species or maybe a hawk fish if you want something similar.
Clowns will be fine.
I’d look into things like basslets, wrasses, gobies, blennies, or a dragonet (if you’re up for the challenge).

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!

As for your fish list -- 40g is too small for a Blue Tang (recommended over 125g for these). The clowns would be fine. I'm not familiar with keeping lion fish requirements, though.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion would be okay on its own, but you’ll probably run into issues with others in that size tank.
I’d go for a smaller scorpionfish species or maybe a hawk fish if you want something similar.
Clowns will be fine.
I’d look into things like basslets, wrasses, gobies, blennies, or a dragonet (if you’re up for the challenge).
I’m really wanting the Clowns, what would be the issue with the lion e.g. would it eat them?
I will look into the others you have suggested also

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lions have a high bioload due to their size and diet (basically all live), so in a small tank it’s best to be just them. There is potential for a lion to eat a clown, whatever fits in their mouth is food.
A fu Manchu may fit better, though I don’t know about difficulty with them.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lions have a high bioload due to their size and diet (basically all live), so in a small tank it’s best to be just them. There is potential for a lion to eat a clown, whatever fits in their mouth is food.
Ok thanks, I understand that I will look into other options

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New stocking ideas what are we thinking?
is the mandarin super hard to care for?
Coral wise I’m wanting mainly LPS and some softies and leathers and a plating Coral like a monti if possible

5FED3894-D3CE-4E39-8A4F-EB54FE6B2009.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would work, I’d just make sure that you give lots of time for pods to establish before adding a mandarin (and even then get a captive and be prepared to feed if necessary). Filefish may nip at corals (up to the individual), and I highly recommend a pistol shrimp to go with the watchman!

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would work, I’d just make sure that you give lots of time for pods to establish before adding a mandarin (and even then get a captive and be prepared to feed if necessary). Filefish may nip at corals (up to the individual), and I highly recommend a pistol shrimp to go with the watchman!
Yes! That reminds me actually I love inverts and I’m one of those people who would rather fill a tank with sea urchins, shrimp, starfish and crabs than fish lol so deffo want some

Gobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a FU Manchu and it was a great fish for 6 months until it would refuse to eat the food I put directly in front of him and he just died. Take it from a past owner DO NOT GET A FU MANCHU. That fish is one of the reason I quit the hobby for a few years.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a FU Manchu and it was a great fish for 6 months until it would refuse to eat the food I put directly in front of him and he just died. Take it from a past owner DO NOT GET A FU MANCHU. That fish is one of the reason I quit the hobby for a few years.
I hear you, heard similar stories from other people aswell I think I will stick to some easier fish

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ve done some research and thought about it and here’s what I’ve got currently:
•Pair of clowns
•Mandarin dragonet (in a year or so when copepods have established a sustainable population)
•watchman Goby
•pistol shrimp
•Aptasia eating filefish
•tuxedo sea urchin
•some kind of sea star, probably sand sifting
•feather duster
•Clam
•5 Trochus snails
• 5 cerith snails
Is this too much ? I’m not wanting a huge bio load of fish so am willing to whittle it down if need be

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 is a bit small for most stars, and it could compete with the dragonet for food. If any particular star could fit its probably the fromeas. You could get a brittle star though - much easier to keep.
Maybe some more snails for better algae cleanup.
Otherwise it all sounds good to me. Kinda similar to what I would do in a 40.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish rehomed. Decor given away.

next steps are to drain tank and take out plants and gravel

Attachments

• 422D1051-9E5A-454D-9260-D22144427625.jpeg
    422D1051-9E5A-454D-9260-D22144427625.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ve cleaned and drained the tank and added the Maxspect light to it . I’ve added the rock from my old tank to my new one I scrubbed it with an old toothbrush in a bucket of ro water first (I’ve got no aquascape yet ) I’m on my way to my lfs to get more live rock and sand for my tank is there anything else I need ?
I will be using some of the sand from my old tank I have rinsed it in hot water as I had a lot of algae in the tank
I’ve got colony bacteria for the cycle and a Fluval U4 for flow when I add coral (will probs be a while yet)

B3D41AD8-4559-4491-9E5D-4B97CAECB160.jpeg

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a suuper nice piece of rock with a nice arch to use and I got a Piece of dry caribsea life rock
Going to leave my tank now as I’m super tired from cleaning it this morning and add the extra rock and sand I got tomorrow then fill it up

(Will post pics of rocks tomorrow)

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will be fine.
I wouldn’t recommend keeping the smaller fish on your list with a lion fish…..expensive dinner
Edit: I see now you updated your list

Last edited:

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll need probably 2 wave makers. A refractometer and a saltwater test kit. I recommend a heater controller like an inkbird (sounds like you know why). Personally, I would go with an oversized hang on back (hob) filter before a canister. Some people like them, but they are a ton of maintenance, usually thorough cleaning at least every 2 weeks and the detritus they collect can cause very high nitrates. Chemipure elite will help with phosphates as well (don’t add until after cycling is complete).

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend keeping the smaller fish on your list with a lion fish…..expensive dinner
Edit: I see now you updated your list
Yeah, it’s surprising how wide lion fish can open their mouths!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back