OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok rock scape done - what do you think? I’m open to change it
Sandbed is in and I’ve filled it with all the saltwater I had (I’m getting more tomorrow)
Once it is full and heated to 25C I will add in the bacteria in a bottle that I have and test until 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and low nitrate
I’m pretty sure that’s how the cycle works I haven’t done it in a while
Im hoping to add fish next week as I used rock from my old tank and bottled bacteria but I will wait until the levels are correct

328BB6FA-AB45-480E-962C-608ED804A8B1.jpeg AA8CFE6E-5361-4107-BFA4-42D7710C4AFE.jpeg

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the scape!
Nice and big, but also open!
I would suggest making small rubble structures scattered around the bottom, it makes the big rocks look even bigger!

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok tank is now full - got to start the cycling process now ;Nailbiting
Can someone help me please, what do I do I’ve never cycled with rock from an existing tank so I don’t really know how to do it ?
I was planning on adding some seachem stability to my tank to cycle it will this work with the rock ?

Gobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok tank is now full - got to start the cycling process now ;Nailbiting
Can someone help me please, what do I do I’ve never cycled with rock from an existing tank so I don’t really know how to do it ?
I was planning on adding some seachem stability to my tank to cycle it will this work with the rock ?
test everything in the tank with the saltwater ph, salinity, etc. pack then see what you need/ if you need anything

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have a backup for the heating. I have a 42 gallon hex tank with a sump. I have two 50 watt heaters that have their own thermostats in the sump. I control them with my controller on two separate outputs. I have the thermostats on the heaters set for 3 degrees above the controller temp setting. So if one fails on for some reason the thermostat in the heater itself should stop the heater from overheating. Also one 50 watt heater will take a while to heat the tank to level high enough to be an issue.

I had rolling blackouts Last February that lasted almost a week. The tank did get down to 70 degrees and took two days to heat back up to 76 days after the blackouts were over. At the time I didn't know but I had lost a heater and it was not heating at all. I now have a controller that monitors the power output and will alert me if it is not within the range I set. At the time it may have been in my favor since it heated the tank back up slowly. I was lucky and did not loose any corals or fish.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realised I’ve converted 200L wrong it’s actually a 53 Gallon tank :)

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that rock on the left leaning on the glass and the other rock? That’s why it looks like it’s floating. I’d definitely move that so it’s more stable, that’s how you crack your glass if it is the way it looks

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that rock on the left leaning on the glass and the other rock? That’s why it looks like it’s floating. I’d definitely move that so it’s more stable, that’s how you crack your glass if it is the way it looks
I didn’t even realise that it looked like it was floating lol
Yeah it is leaning on the glass there isn’t really another way it will fit so I might have to take it out

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always do a small earthquake test by placing my open hand on the rock and jiggling it a little. Things will move and settle.
Do you know your salinity? Did you add salt? Are you salty?! Lol muhahaha
D

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even realise that it looked like it was floating lol
Yeah it is leaning on the glass there isn’t really another way it will fit so I might have to take it out
You could put it on the ground off to the side. It would make a good Xenia/gsp island that way.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always do a small earthquake test by placing my open hand on the rock and jiggling it a little. Things will move and settle.
Do you know your salinity? Did you add salt? Are you salty?! Lol muhahaha
D
Yes I used saltwater lol
I’m testing all parameters tonight and I will update on here

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ve just tested and I’m a bit confused, ammonia is fairly high so I’m wondering if I will have a cycle ?
pH:8.2
Ammonia: between 1ppm and 2 ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Salinity: 1.020
I’m aware salinity is a bit low, I buy saltwater from my lfs so will have to follow that up with them

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I’ve been away for the past few days so gas too Leave the tank and I came back to bright green algae on the rocks and sand I couldn’t get a picture but it looked exactly like the stuff on this persons rock
Will post parameters as soon as I am able to test tomorrow

Attachments

• 6C0EDB5A-AD3E-491D-BBE1-449AABF07C55.jpeg
    6C0EDB5A-AD3E-491D-BBE1-449AABF07C55.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just tested my tank and I’m worried as there has been little change in over a week
Ammonia:2ppm
Nitrite:between 0ppm and 0.25ppm

I’ve added a dose of Seachem stability and turned lights off to hopefully help with algae

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just tested my tank and I’m worried as there has been little change in over a week
Ammonia:2ppm
Nitrite:between 0ppm and 0.25ppm

I’ve added a dose of Seachem stability and turned lights off to hopefully help with algae
The salinity won’t affect algae growth, but I’d try to get that to about 1.025.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back