Convict Tang and White Tail Bristletooth

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started a 150G back in March. I have been running with lights out and now have the following fish that are doing well...

• School of Dispar Anthias (5)
  • Diamond Goby
  • Firefish
  • Mystery Wrasse
  • Scott's Fairy Wrasse

My plan from here is to add 2 tangs next. And then a clownfish pair with an anemone.

My question is, will these two tangs be OK for this tank?

• White Tailed Bristletooth Tang
  • Convict Tang

Clowns will be some variety of Percula.

Thanks.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes those 2 are great choices. In general 2 tangs in a 150 is fine, as well as avoiding 2x Acanthurus, and it is good to add them after the smaller active swimmers such as the wrasse are established. I recommend to QT every fish but doubly so with tangs as their nervous swimming can cause issues not only for themselves but all the other fish.

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes those 2 are great choices. In general 2 tangs in a 150 is fine, as well as avoiding 2x Acanthurus, and it is good to add them after the smaller active swimmers such as the wrasse are established. I recommend to QT every fish but doubly so with tangs as their nervous swimming can cause issues not only for themselves but all the other fish.

Thanks!

If I am going to add a clownfish pair does it matter if I add before or after the tangs? I’m going to add an anemone when I add the clownfish.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same 2 tangs together in my tank, works great they scuffle sometimes but nothing bad. I added the convict first because he started super skinny. In a perfect would id probably do the white tail first, or whoever is the smallest.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those will be fine.. the issue currently is trying to get a healthy convict that lives longer than a week! I’ve went through 3 in the last 2 months and have read multiple threads on here and fb of the same deal.. blonde naso have the same rap currently but I got luckily and my first one is doing great after a month… yay! Lol

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those will be fine.. the issue currently is trying to get a healthy convict that lives longer than a week! I’ve went through 3 in the last 2 months and have read multiple threads on here and fb of the same deal.. blonde naso have the same rap currently but I got luckily and my first one is doing great after a month… yay! Lol
feed the convicts like crazy, if you can get it on seaweed extreme pellets thats great. They need A LOT of food at first, then they get fat lol anything high fiber is preferable vs high protein mysis etc. I hope you can get one they are such a cool fish.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feed the convicts like crazy, if you can get it on seaweed extreme pellets thats great. They need A LOT of food at first, then they get fat lol anything high fiber is preferable vs high protein mysis etc. I hope you can get one they are such a cool fish! They just seem to not ship well.. they eat like crazy and look good then I come home from work and the crabs are clawing there eyes out… ugh..
my first one ate like a pig and looked super healthy! He lasted a week… everything looked great when I left for work then I came home and the crabs were clawing his eyes out ugh… the next 2 I got didn’t last 4 hours after I took them out of the shipping bag.. they don’t seem to ship well.. :rolleyes: I got 7 tangs right now and gonna go for Achilles next and if they all behave I’ll try another convict.

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
feed the convicts like crazy, if you can get it on seaweed extreme pellets thats great. They need A LOT of food at first, then they get fat lol anything high fiber is preferable vs high protein mysis etc. I hope you can get one they are such a cool fish.

Thanks. All of my current fish want protein so I guess I will need to get another auto feeder for algae pellets. I feed brine and mysis manually but when I go out of town, I have an autofeeder with dehydrated brine shrimp.
my first one ate like a pig and looked super healthy! He lasted a week… everything looked great when I left for work then I came home and the crabs were clawing his eyes out ugh… the next 2 I got didn’t last 4 hours after I took them out of the shipping bag.. they don’t seem to ship well.. :rolleyes: I got 7 tangs right now and gonna go for Achilles next and if they all behave I’ll try another convict.

Have you tried Dr Reef? I have purchased all of my fish from him and they are all very healthy so far. It’s been about 6 weeks.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. All of my current fish want protein so I guess I will need to get another auto feeder for algae pellets. I feed brine and mysis manually but when I go out of town, I have an autofeeder with dehydrated brine shrimp.

Have you tried Dr Reef? I have purchased all of my fish from him and they are all very healthy so far. It’s been about 6 weeks.
I haven’t.. my lfs orders from quality marine and I just pick them up when they arrive to town.. fresh out the box before they hit the tanks in the store.. I think it’s the collection efforts myself. I will say the larger one looked the healthiest and the smallest one was the worst…

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

If I am going to add a clownfish pair does it matter if I add before or after the tangs? I’m going to add an anemone when I add the clownfish.
You can do it either way but tangs first is safer imo as clownfish are aggressive. It just goes unnoticed most of the time because there territory can be the size of a single anemone.

reefingup87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a 150G back in March. I have been running with lights out and now have the following fish that are doing well...

• School of Dispar Anthias (5)
  • Diamond Goby
  • Firefish
  • Mystery Wrasse
  • Scott's Fairy Wrasse

My plan from here is to add 2 tangs next. And then a clownfish pair with an anemone.

My question is, will these two tangs be OK for this tank?

• White Tailed Bristletooth Tang
  • Convict Tang

Clowns will be some variety of Percula.

Thanks.
Show us your tank where are the pictures?

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Show us your tank where are the pictures?

You're right, so sorry! :)

First, regarding the fish, I have ordered a Convict and White Tailed Bristletooth from Dr Reef. Hope to have them in the next few weeks.

Below are a few pictures from today as well as a couple of videos. Tank is doing well. No corals yet but I am really enjoying my fish.

i-mGZSmhT-X2.jpg

i-G5P84SX-XL.jpg

i-DgK3nBp-XL.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back