Cooked a 29G Biocube so going to a Reefer 170

Jason Bianchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

My name is Jason, I'm an hour south of Detroit and I have been in and out of the hobby since high school. I recently ran a pretty successful 29-gallon Biocube until one day cleaning it I took the JBJ True Temp heater control probe out, got busy with my 4-year-old, never put it back in...and ultimately cooked the tank. Apparently, those things will run for 10 hours straight, so heads up! Since that happened, I haven't been able to keep any corals, and it has been a huge bummer. So, I'm doing what any reefer would do... Upgrade to a Red Sea Max Reefer 170. I ordered it over the holiday break and am currently awaiting shipment. I attached a picture of the tank I took before I took it. With all that said, I look forward to starting not only my journey with my new tank but also as a Reef2Reef Member. Thank you in advance to anyone who I may encounter along the way!!
IMG_0458.JPG

OP
OP
Jason Bianchi

Jason Bianchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Physically the tank is ok. The clown and two tangs lived. I've recently given the yellow tang away, so I just have the clown and blue hippo. The clown I have had for six years. He was the male of a pair and the female I had to give away due to major aggression issues. Long story, I bought a house six years ago, I get the keys, I get home, and the house is completely empty with a Biocube 16 sitting on the kitchen countertop covered in algae with two mated clowns in it. Having had a saltwater tank in high school, I accepted the challenge, which has now progressed into the 170. After the meltdown, I have not been able to keep any corals. I constantly test. I am religious about water changes. I used to keep the tank without dosing solely off of weekly water changes. It has gotten to the point where I continuously doubt myself and all the decisions I make, with the lighting in particular. I run a Kessil A160WE with a controller. I am to the point to where I feel as if I want to stay in the hobby I have to try something new. So I am starting from scratch and doing it all right. I just dropped a ridiculous amount at BRS to get started, and we will see what happens!!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back