Cool and unique fish for a 5 gallon nano

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
budget comes to mind if you are not looking at the normally readily available nano fish. just because a fish can work does not mean it is within your budget.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with four barnacle blennies, or maybe a clown goby and small cardinalfish?
I love the suggestions, but avoid clown gobies as I have gotten 3-4 in the past decade of reefing and each one has passed away within a few months.

The problem with Barnacle blennies and Pygmy cardinalfish is they are near impossible to find at any LFS in Ohio! Maybe time to place an order.

I really wanted some sort of goby to pair up with my Randalls Pistol. A YWG is definitely out of the question as I learned even a biota one will get 4" (way to large for the Evo)

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
budget comes to mind if you are not looking at the normally readily available nano fish. just because a fish can work does not mean it is within your budget.
Oh definitely TBH with ya'll I am under the poverty limit lol. Ordering fish online normally is not a possibility for me as I just cant afford it.

I am thinking just asking one of the LFS to get a wheelers goby in! Or maybe a tank raised court jester goby. Those both seem really solid, and not very expensive/hard to get.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh definitely TBH with ya'll I am under the poverty limit lol. Ordering fish online normally is not a possibility for me as I just cant afford it.

I am thinking just asking one of the LFS to get a wheelers goby in! Or maybe a tank raised court jester goby. Those both seem really solid, and not very expensive/hard to get.
my jester is awesome as is my tailspot blenny, both are all over the place so is my red scooter. I like them all, add a fire shrimp and loads of activity

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genuinely curious on some really cool and unique fish for a 5 gallon evo tank. Stocking is limited of course due to size so something really out there would be a great way to utilize the small space I feel. What would be some good options ?
Saw one at petco actually. Cool small fish.
Screenshot 2024-04-23 191634.png

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as stated a year ago flaming prawn goby lol. I have kept them. Usually lose them due to swapping rocks and me not finding them before hand lol. I feed benepets and usually after a few weeks they will start feeding from it. Some even 1st or second feeding in the week. They are very tiny and while tgey will eat pods , tgey wont decimate that easy with just 1 or 2.

this was next day after adding so needs to color up and fatten up a bit.
1000003376.jpg

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5g is pretty small. As many have pointed out, many of the smaller fish/less active swimmers are naturally pod eaters, and it will be hard to maintain a pod population in a tank that small with a dedicated pod eater. Therefore my suggestion is just to look carefully at aquacultured options. It took my biota mandarin a long time to switch from eating mostly TDO pellets to eating pods. Although I would not put him in a 5g regardless, he is 3” now and roams my entire Redfer 350.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.7%
Back