Copepod bloom

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one going on now in our tank. Hopefully some changes we made to the flow along with some new livestock whittle it down. Is there anything else you can do to make them go? In addition to making the water "ugly" I've heard that a bad enough one can starve fish of oxygen in the tank...

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a great resource on copepods you might want to read- I've never heard of copepods starving fish of oxygen in an adequately oxygenated reef tank- do you mean the general idea of microbial plankton or even phytoplankton? Their population is largely self-limiting. I suspect you either don't have any animals that consume copepods or have too much nutrient import into your tank.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a great resource on copepods you might want to read- I've never heard of copepods starving fish of oxygen in an adequately oxygenated reef tank- do you mean the general idea of microbial plankton or even phytoplankton? Their population is largely self-limiting. I suspect you either don't have any animals that consume copepods or have too much nutrient import into your tank.

We definitely don't have many that consume them that I know of. One scooter blenny. I doubt any of our other fish would consume them. Other than that it's all snails and hermits and one Duncan. What kind of nutrient import are you talking about? I dose the standard trace elements. My levels when I test are all good, nitrates are a little high but that's it.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it would help if you could describe how many we're talking here or provide a photo? Is this just during the night or do you see them crawling around during the day? Is it only on the glass or can you see them on the rocks or in the water column?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it would help if you could describe how many we're talking here or provide a photo? Is this just during the night or do you see them crawling around during the day? Is it only on the glass or can you see them on the rocks or in the water column?
Are too many pods bad? I also thought they are self limiting.
At night I see many on glass and an occasional whirlwind of them like a school of fish. Are these problems ?

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll try and get a pic tomorrow when the lights come back on. It's definitely a lot, during the day and you see them being blown all around the water column.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are too many pods bad? I also thought they are self limiting.
At night I see many on glass and an occasional whirlwind of them like a school of fish. Are these problems ?

I think if there's a big bloom of them it can be a problem, or indicate something else is wrong....
Aside from it making the tank just look dirty the whole time.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? A number of tanks "suffer" a pod bloom during the maturation process. I remember being ecstatic at seeing amphipods absolutely everywhere one month in a young tank, only for them to all just disappear into the rockwork the next month.

Whatever you're doing, let us know! I'd love to make a copepod bloom happen on purpose...all the time

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? A number of tanks "suffer" a pod bloom during the maturation process. I remember being ecstatic at seeing amphipods absolutely everywhere one month in a young tank, only for them to all just disappear into the rockwork the next month.

Whatever you're doing, let us know! I'd love to make a copepod bloom happen on purpose...all the time

Its had fish in it since late February, no idea if thats still considered young lol.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is today. Definitely worse during the day, at night you barely see any. I did see some decent sized critters crawling around in the fuge this morning.
20200706_141251.jpg
20200706_141256.jpg
20200706_141259.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first saw the LT tang and thought, hey, that's my tank, LOL!!! I personally have not had any issues with to many pods, so I really can't help much. I do know that some wrasses, along with mandarins, will eat pods. I do believe a Pink Streak wrasse will eat pods without the aggression of a 6 line wrasse. #reefsquad

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first saw the LT tang and thought, hey, that's my tank, LOL!!! I personally have not had any issues with to many pods, so I really can't help much. I do know that some wrasses, along with mandarins, will eat pods. I do believe a Pink Streak wrasse will eat pods without the aggression of a 6 line wrasse. #reefsquad

Lol I love Lt Dan. We haven't had him that long but he is growing like a weed. Was probably the size of our coral beauty when we got him and he's at least twice that now.
Smart too. If I walk close to the tank he comes right up front and starts swimming back and forth like "yo where's the food at man?"

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We have a scooter blenny that I'm sure is loving them and a melenarus wrasse (not sure if they eat them). A mandarin is on the wife's list for sure. I would think the CBB and filefish might eat them cause their mouths are so small.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a scooter blenny that I'm sure is loving them and a melenarus wrasse (not sure if they eat them). A mandarin is on the wife's list for sure. I would think the CBB and filefish might eat them cause their mouths are so small.

Your Melenarus and Copper Band should be interested in these.What types and how much fish food are you feeding?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried running a fishless reef once, I had amphipods the size of jumbo shrimp(lol), they were actually eating my corals. At the time many poopoo'd me, but I tell you that is exactly what was happening. Amphipods and copepods are different, so I'm not saying copepods would do the same thing. I added a pink streaked wrasse and he solved my problem, and ended of being my favorite all time nano fish.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Melenarus and Copper Band should be interested in these.What types and how much fish food are you feeding?

Mix of dry, frozen and Nori sheets for the tangs. Not starving them by any means as I over skim and stuff. Maybe cutting down on the feeding would get them going after the pods more? The CBB is new so I was wary of it not eating right.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix of dry, frozen and Nori sheets for the tangs. Not starving them by any means as I over skim and stuff. Maybe cutting down on the feeding would get them going after the pods more? The CBB is new so I was wary of it not eating right.

You're right to worry about the Copper Band.Those can be difficult to keep -period. Does yours go after the frozen food ? If so consider yourself lucky,lol. If you can't cut back on food maybe you could try adding a few more corals for natural nutrient control.Preferably something that would eat the critters unfortunate enough to get near them. A Euphyillia comes to mind.Provided that the parameters are stable enough for more corals. I might just be making excuses for you to buy more corals though.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back