copper and tanks

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4 months ago I treated all my fish with copper power in one of those 100 gallon plastic horse troughs from tractor supply. Now we are moving and I was going to store my live rock in there with some saltwater. Will it be alright or is the copper power absorbed into the plastic?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4 months ago I treated all my fish with copper power in one of those 100 gallon plastic horse troughs from tractor supply. Now we are moving and I was going to store my live rock in there with some saltwater. Will it be alright or is the copper power absorbed into the plastic?
Copper doesn't seek out plastic to absorb onto, not like it does with calcium based sand and rocks. There is some risk that copper evaporated on and into scratches in the plastic though if you didn't rinse the trough with FW before storing it.

If you want to be extra safe, rinse the trough with white vinegar, full strength, just slosh and wipe it around. Then, rinse it out with tap water and then a final RO rinse.

jay

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fir piece of mind, you can test the saltwater in it for copper before adding the rock.

It should be fine, though, I agree

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Copper doesn't seek out plastic to absorb onto, not like it does with calcium based sand and rocks. There is some risk that copper evaporated on and into scratches in the plastic though if you didn't rinse the trough with FW before storing it.

If you want to be extra safe, rinse the trough with white vinegar, full strength, just slosh and wipe it around. Then, rinse it out with tap water and then a final RO rinse.

jay
Does vinegar only work or bleach if you have it on hand

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does vinegar only work or bleach if you have it on hand
I wouldn’t use bleach, that is an oxidizer and a disinfectant, so wouldn’t remove copper. The vinegar drops the pH, dissolving any copper that might be bound to carbonates on the surface of the tub.
Jay

dferrant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt there will be copper in the plastic.
if concerned you can treat and wash with an acid solution

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back