Coker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copper band butterfly that i have had for over a month and he just started twitching out of the blue. Could this just be stress related as i have just moved him to a different qt or am i looking at something that i need to treat here?

Attachments

• IMG_3075.MOV
    17.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Video appears still but often the head shaking is associated with flukes or velvet.
For flukes, you can give it a freshwater dip in a CLEAN bucket of tap water the same temp of display tank for 5 mins then return to display tank.
Look on bottom after with a flashlight and look for what looks like sesame sedds or fish scales. Those will be flukes.
If not present, youve eliminated possibility and want to consider quarantining and using coppersafe for treatment.

Paddypils

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this exact same thing when i get near the tank, he comes to the glass and shakes his head a couple of times. I heard copperbands do this when they expect food. Have mine for 8 months now fat and healty.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he is active and eating well, then I would just keep an eye on it. As mentioned head twitches are typically associated with flukes. If it happens consistently for a good period of time, it might be worth while to conduct a fwd and give yourself peace of mind.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Did you do the freshwater dip I recommended ?
Flukes are actually parasitic flatworms belonging to the class of Monogeans which causes the fish to become lethargic, swim near the water surface, develop clamped fins, hide in the corner of the tank or behind rocks, lose their appetite, shake their head, flash, or scratch. They may also express what looks like yawning.
easy to treat but must be confirmed. Generally Formalin or Prazi Pro are good treatment IF the fish is confirmed with flukes.

OP
OP
Coker

Coker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He only seem to do it when i put food in the tank. If i sneak up on the tank and he doesn’t see me he doesn’t do it. Should i still do the fwd or just wait it out a bit? I don’t want to cause unwanted stress

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He only seem to do it when i put food in the tank. If i sneak up on the tank and he doesn’t see me he doesn’t do it. Should i still do the fwd or just wait it out a bit? I don’t want to cause unwanted stress
if hes eating and normal weight (not skinny) would leave it alone and just watch him, if hes not eating would fresh water dip him. if its flukes you will see them in the dip container after you dip him kinda looks like dandruff

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very common for CBBs to "twitch" which is just them begging for food. If he only does it when he sees you and no other fish are doing it, I wouldn't worry.

cburto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video appears still but often the head shaking is associated with flukes or velvet.
For flukes, you can give it a freshwater dip in a CLEAN bucket of tap water the same temp of display tank for 5 mins then return to display tank.
Look on bottom after with a flashlight and look for what looks like sesame sedds or fish scales. Those will be flukes.
If not present, youve eliminated possibility and want to consider quarantining and using coppersafe for treatment.

cburto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small correction Do NOT use tap water but do use RODI water with similar PH (buffer).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small correction Do NOT use tap water but do use RODI water with similar PH (buffer).
Tap water is actually best for FW dips. RODI has gas exchange problems and poor buffering. You can add buffer, but then you have to check the pH etc. In 90% of the US, dechlorinated tap water, taken out of the tap at the correct temperature is the best choice - fast, easy, clean, low CO2 and no bacteria.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copper band butterfly that i have had for over a month and he just started twitching out of the blue. Could this just be stress related as i have just moved him to a different qt or am i looking at something that i need to treat here?
I'm more concerned about this fish than the others are. I don't think this head shaking is anticipatory behavior. Is the water cloudy, or is it just the video? The fish is also pretty thin.

What have you treated it with?
Have you tried a FW dip?

Jay

OP
OP
Coker

Coker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He picks at stuff here and there but is definitely not a tang.

OP
OP
Coker

Coker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is changed daily as he is in qt still. He has not gained or lost weight sense i got him. Just hovers around that weight. The only thing he actually prefers to eat is clam. But he only does the head shaking when i feed the other fish.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
5 min temporary use is acceptable

cburto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’ opens up a whole new challenge called chlorine and local water quality. I would always opt for RODI dip over tap to avoid the unknown

v3v3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is twitching when he sees me and begging for food.
He does so from the beginning, 2 years in my aquarium and he didn't go through quarantine.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding thin clam slices with tweezers or small feeding tongs. CBBs tend to be very curious and should eventually come over to investigate before the other fish will. then you can make sure he's getting his fill of food.

Back