Copper in dt or quarantine

EsMilos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so i goy four fish 2 weeks ago for my new Fowler tank and tien out they have ich.
i have 2 option,

tank spec: 135 gallon with sillica sand that will not absorb any copper. 50 pound of live rock. no invert, just 2 tang , one butterfly and a foxface.

first option is to treat the Dt with copper but removing all rock and placing them in bucket with airstone. During the whole process

second is to place the fish in a 20 gallon tub , putting a small pump with a diy filter in it and airstone in
treating copper in the small tank and dosing prime and bio bacteria.
i will also place a small piece of liverock in the tank for beneficial bacteria
bit will the fish fight in a 20 gal?

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would remove the rock and treat in DT. why stress the fish out, they will still be stressed removing rock but not as bad as chasing them in a 135 and into a small tank.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, if you can easily remove the rock this might be the easiest but the QT is best to ensure copper is not absorbed. Don't put rock in the QT.

OP
OP
E

EsMilos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok and once fish are good and the copper read 0, I can add rock and inverts?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to add some pvc pipes or structures the fish can hide in that will not absorb copper. If ammonia becomes an issue, add a big bottle of cycling bacteria.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi so i goy four fish 2 weeks ago for my new Fowler tank and tien out they have ich.
i have 2 option,

tank spec: 135 gallon with sillica sand that will not absorb any copper. 50 pound of live rock. no invert, just 2 tang , one butterfly and a foxface.

first option is to treat the Dt with copper but removing all rock and placing them in bucket with airstone. During the whole process

second is to place the fish in a 20 gallon tub , putting a small pump with a diy filter in it and airstone in
treating copper in the small tank and dosing prime and bio bacteria.
i will also place a small piece of liverock in the tank for beneficial bacteria
bit will the fish fight in a 20 gal?
In quarantine. Once copper applied to display it remains killing rock and inverts.
Tub is acceptable.
Best treatment would be coppersafe or general cure with coppersafe my choice at therapuetic level 2.25-2.5 monitored with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna brand, not Api
Also monitor ammonia level with a reliable test kit during treatment and would not be a bad idea to add an air stone for added oxygen during treatment
You will also need to leave display tank FishLess (Fallow) for at least 6-8 weeks to assure the cysts and trophants have completed their life cycle without a host and have died off

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back