Copper is there a Theraputic Level safe to keep at all times for fish only tank?

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I go again since I been battling a parasite which acts like ick for several years with copper power at which last treatment was 30 days at 2.25-2.50. it appears for about 2 months that I finally got rid of the parasite. Well its back, once I remove all the copper for DT which is fish only it comes back with a slow but strong vengeance. Is there a level I can leave copper power in permanently which won't harm the fish. I have asked everyone for any other ideas for treatment but to no avail. Hypo several times didn't work either. Should I change to copper safe this time or stay with copper power. Thanks for any input on this matter I really appreciate it. Open for suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_0582.jpeg IMG_0584.jpeg IMG_0592.jpeg IMG_0594.jpeg IMG_0590.jpeg

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used cupramine at the suggested levels on the bottle for a few months on my fowlr. It worked for me with ich. The long term cure was to stop adding new fish in my case.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The isdue may be that this appears as velvet rather than ich and treatment should state treats Oodinum. Other possibility is cryptocaryon

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe states that therapeutic level (1.5 - 2ppm) dosing can stay as long as fish aren’t stressed

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept fish as long as 6 months in Coppersafe at full 2.5 ppm dose with no apparent ill effects. I don't think peroxide dosing is viable - too tricky to get a proper dose, since the reactive fraction is based on the organic loading of the tank, and that is different for every tank. I've also killed snails and shrimp with it at treatment dosage.

Jay

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if perhaps you have some calcareous substrate or rocks in the DT that has absorbed enough copper to drop the concentration below the therapeutic guidelines? Target for both coppersafe and copper power is 2.5ppm. If it dropped below say 2.25 for any length of time, I would be concerned. Which test kit are you using?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you treating your fish in a hospital tank - and then leaving the Display fallow? If it were me - I would re-treat ALL of the fish, and leave the tank fallow for 76 days. Making sure that there are no Rocks, etc (as others have said) in the hospital tank. It may very well be - that for what ever reason you have a strain that needs a longer rather than shorter fallow period. Also - it only take a short time for the copper levels to be 'low' to cause a problem. Many people are not checking copper levels multiple times/day. Which copper test are you using? As others have said - copper will treat both velvet and cryptocaryon (marine Ich)

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept fish as long as 6 months in Coppersafe at full 2.5 ppm dose with no apparent ill effects. I don't think peroxide dosing is viable - too tricky to get a proper dose, since the reactive fraction is based on the organic loading of the tank, and that is different for every tank. I've also killed snails and shrimp with it at treatment dosage.

Jay
Think he was talking about H2O2 bath not dosing. While I am seeing people dosing H2O2 most H2O2 treatment is done in 30min baths.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think he was talking about H2O2 bath not dosing. While I am seeing people dosing H2O2 most H2O2 treatment is done in 30min baths.
I do not personally believe that H2O2 baths for 30 minutes are 'curative' as compared to other treatments. Depending on the number of fish involved - and the number of baths - this could be quite cumbersome and stressful for the fish IMHO - which can then worsen the disease process.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you treating your fish in a hospital tank - and then leaving the Display fallow? If it were me - I would re-treat ALL of the fish, and leave the tank fallow for 76 days. Making sure that there are no Rocks, etc (as others have said) in the hospital tank. It may very well be - that for what ever reason you have a strain that needs a longer rather than shorter fallow period. Also - it only take a short time for the copper levels to be 'low' to cause a problem. Many people are not checking copper levels multiple times/day. Which copper test are you using? As others have said - copper will treat both velvet and cryptocaryon (marine Ich)
Agree with this as well from what I have been reading at humble.fish.

I agree with looking into H2O2. Have you seen the H2O2 Hybrid Tank Transfer Method for treating Ich/Velvet?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not personally believe that H2O2 baths for 30 minutes are 'curative' as compared to other treatments. Depending on the number of fish involved - and the number of baths - this could be quite cumbersome and stressful for the fish IMHO - which can then worsen the disease process.
One of the reasons H2O2 works is because of how it oxidizes the parasites then breaks down to completely inert. I have been reading a lot of good results of people using H2O2 for treatment of Velvet and Ich and not needing any other medications for treatment. People dosing H2O2 in systems with UVC systems do even better because of how the UV light combined with the H2O2 double oxidizes everything. Been reading people doing regular dosing of H2O2 in their DT with the UVC. There is a lot of good research on this going on at Humble.Fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the reasons H2O2 works is because of how it oxidizes the parasites then breaks down to completely inert. I have been reading a lot of good results of people using H2O2 for treatment of Velvet and Ich and not needing any other medications for treatment. People dosing H2O2 in systems with UVC systems do even better because of how the UV light combined with the H2O2 double oxidizes everything. Been reading people doing regular dosing of H2O2 in their DT with the UVC. There is a lot of good research on this going on at Humble.Fish.
Yes - well aware - one comment is that at least my tendency is to use treatments that are proven to work, as compared to one that 'might' work. There is also a difference between treatment and prophylaxis. I personally would trust a tank full of expensive fish to H2O2 (at this point) - but you make a valid point. I think Jay does as well - in that in a display - it's hard to quantitate the organic load.

Also There are many people with ich - who use 'nothing' - and it 'goes away' - so to me without a more controlled study - its hard to know exactly what's happening. Do you have a link by any chance.

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Ok I was told that its could be the very beginnings of brooks or bacterial issues -- he suggested using Metronidazole since it will fight against both and can safely be added to the DT tank. So the questions is should I go with this treatment or copper again and if going with copper instead of using copper power I should try coppersafe?

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was told that its could be the very beginnings of brooks or bacterial issues -- he suggested using Metronidazole since it will fight against both and can safely be added to the DT tank. So the questions is should I go with this treatment or copper again and if going with copper instead of using copper power I should try coppersafe?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - well aware - one comment is that at least my tendency is to use treatments that are proven to work, as compared to one that 'might' work. There is also a difference between treatment and prophylaxis. I personally would trust a tank full of expensive fish to H2O2 (at this point) - but you make a valid point. I think Jay does as well - in that in a display - it's hard to quantitate the organic load.

Also There are many people with ich - who use 'nothing' - and it 'goes away' - so to me without a more controlled study - its hard to know exactly what's happening. Do you have a link by any chance.
While this is a new treatment method there is a lot of data behind it. They have been doing LOTS of testing and it has shown a lot of good results. Here are the known compatibility list.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not CopperPower?

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this is a new treatment method there is a lot of data behind it. They have been doing LOTS of testing and it has shown a lot of good results. Here are the known compatibility list.

No on link been battling this for 3 years copper power been used at least half a dozen along with hypo.I have been using peroxide on all new fish (30 minute bath), along with the one I took the picture of. I am thinking of copper power again with Metronidazole. Any suggestions on this treatment or should I dose the tank with hydrogen peroxide

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back