Copper - non detectable levels

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For copper sensitive critters, would you use water from a source that the water came from copper? If the meters picked up no detectable copper from distilling water through a copper still, would you use it? Same I guess for filtering through a house that had copper pipes?

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to toss it out there, most homes before maybe 2010 were copper pipes. Many now are PEX. It got me thinking about some distilled water sources that have copper vs steel. A critter that says absolutely no copper makes me wonder if it’s ok to use “unknown” water sources.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to toss it out there, most homes before maybe 2010 were copper pipes. Many now are PEX. It got me thinking about some distilled water sources that have copper vs steel. A critter that says absolutely no copper makes me wonder if it’s ok to use “unknown” water sources.
I honestly couldn't say. My plumbing is PEX, and it's not something I've ever been concerned with.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For copper sensitive critters, would you use water from a source that the water came from copper? If the meters picked up no detectable copper from distilling water through a copper still, would you use it? Same I guess for filtering through a house that had copper pipes?

What meter?

The Hanna copper checker is not sufficiently accurate at the low end for such a use. ICP can be useful for this purpose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper in home tap water from your own pipes can be an issue, but certainly is not always.

This is a major reason that one cannot simply try to mimic what someone else does because your water may well have greatly different copper levels, even someone living next door.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back