Copperband Butterflies :)

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine lasted 7 months. Ate aiptasia, worms, and live rock pods from day one, but never dried and RARELY frozen foods. He was always eating until he ate up all my pods! Because I was unable to replenish my pods, and have no access to raw mussels / clams where I live, he eventually died. Only this week did I discover live black worms in my region (I'm not in USA). I think I"ll try again but keep the butterfly in QT until he starts eating prepared foods. I will say that he ate every single aiptasia in my DT . . . after 2-3 months, I"m starting to see them return.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked mine up today. Has been at the LFS for 3 weeks eating frozen mysis. Will go 4 weeks in my observation tank then into the 120. 20220730_202119.jpg

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine I believe next month is his 1 year anniversary in my aquarium. Right before lights out still searching the rocks.

Attachments

• 20220731_000558.jpg
    20220731_000558.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220731_000529.jpg
    20220731_000529.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 22

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 year old fella, 2.5 years in September. Absolutely destroyed aptasia in the tank within the first few weeks of being in the tank. This guy was I think the 3rd fish to go in and has been the opposite of what their reputation is meant to be.
404F8EC9-824A-4FE3-A782-6F4ABACE9DDF.jpeg

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fat and healthy. Did you have any aptasia that he destroyed?
Nope I started my system with dry rocks so I had no pests. Originally in his first two months with us he gotten two bacterial infections which had to be treated in qt during the second infection he almost died from a hunger strike he was dangerously skinny. Now he's nice and plumb and is the only fish in the aquarium that eats from my hand.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I started my system with dry rocks so I had no pests. Originally in his first two months with us he gotten two bacterial infections which had to be treated in qt during the second infection he almost died from a hunger strike he was dangerously skinny. Now he's nice and plumb and is the only fish in the aquarium that eats from my hand.
What do you feed him?

CrossXchaos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice to anyone considering this fish
1. Make sure the fish eats in store
2. Make sure it's physically in good condition and not just fins and scales this includes its sensitive mouth which can be damaged from shipping or possibly infected from injury.
3. Be prepared to spend extra cash on clams, oysters and other specialty foods. Make sure you always have a place to buy these foods regularly.
4. Be ready to treat this fish for bacterial infection because they are susceptible to these issues while accumulating to captivity.
5. This fish will "NOT" handle aggressive tankmates and the stress caused by aggression lead to hunger strikes, bacterial infections and finally death

Once accumulated and stress free these fish in my opinion are very hardy they can develop a ferocious appetite.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband has been in my tank for just over 3 years. It loves live black worms, frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis, and live or frozen clams. I’ve never seen it eat flake or pellet.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mix the mastik and keep in the fridge for a while?
I use the Easy Reef masstick, pre done round balls, they stick to everything, so not bad for the ones that like to pick on the rocks, everyone of my fish other than Royal Gamma and Jawfish go wild for it.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back