Copperband butterfly eating coral

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little over a month ago I picked up a Malaysian copperband butterfly I was told that they are hardier eat no problem and don't eat coral in the last week it has eaten my jf JF kraks rastas Tweety birds gmk rainbow Yoda's devil's armour rainbow eclipse and chewed on a lobo and an acanthopylia along with eating l my clove polyps anyone else have this happen it hasn't touched about 6 other types of zoas though?!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I brought in new polyps of zoa/palythoa and my cbb would pick at them. Eats any thing that looks like an aiptasia/feather worm.

CBB are a risky fish. They can eat coral. Some actually do. Mine was nipping at my trachyphyllia when I had gotten sick and reduced feedings to 2 times per day. I upped feedings back to 4+ and she stopped picking on my trachy.

How often are you feeding yours?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little over a month ago I picked up a Malaysian copperband butterfly I was told that they are hardier eat no problem and don't eat coral in the last week it has eaten my jf JF kraks rastas Tweety birds gmk rainbow Yoda's devil's armour rainbow eclipse and chewed on a lobo and an acanthopylia along with eating l my clove polyps anyone else have this happen it hasn't touched about 6 other types of zoas though?!

Judging by the names of the corals maybe it thought it was dining at Ruth Chris Steak House and looking at the desert menu... Maybe should have interviewed the Copperband before introduction and get its take on the situation.

Seriously though it doesn't matter what the LFS or vendor said it is wrong. The only correct answer to give when asked this question is this:

Every fish is different. You, the hobbyist, must have an acceptable risk level and decide if it is worth it or not.

TL;DR - they are typically flagged as "reef safe - with caution". Just a FYI.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy05

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought in new polyps of zoa/palythoa and my cbb would pick at them. Eats any thing that looks like an aiptasia/feather worm.

CBB are a risky fish. They can eat coral. Some actually do. Mine was nipping at my trachyphyllia when I had gotten sick and reduced feedings to 2 times per day. I upped feedings back to 4+ and she stopped picking on my trachy.

How often are you feeding yours?
There's an auto feeder that gives pellets and flakes 3x a day and then mysis and other frozen stuff 1 a day sometimes 2 a day

OP
OP
Bigdaddy05

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging by the names of the corals maybe it thought it was dining at Ruth Chris Steak House and looking at the desert menu... Maybe should have interviewed the Copperband before introduction and get its take on the situation.

Seriously though it doesn't matter what the LFS or vendor said it is wrong. The only correct answer to give when asked this question is this:

Every fish is different. You, the hobbyist, must have an acceptable risk level and decide if it is worth it or not.

TL;DR - they are typically flagged as "reef safe - with caution". Just a FYI.
I wish it would of chosen the green palys and other less expensive zoas then I wouldn't of minded

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like already stated many times whether a fish is reef safe comes down to the individual fish. I tried a copperband once and couldn’t get it to eat anything, then it started eating my hammers and Duncan coral.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it eats mushroom coral, I'll take it off your hands. lol

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it would of chosen the green palys and other less expensive zoas then I wouldn't of minded

Fully understand. Sorry to hear that it is pushing the boundary. Maybe see what it does leave alone and restock with those. If you have a healthy CB that is eating prepared food I would almost take that over a few corals. But I also have to respect the expense. Corals and budget say we have to look at everything.

Hope your evening is going well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All CBBs will have a chance to eat coral. Mine avoids LPS like the plague and deals with the life growing around the skeleton of my Duncan. I also have a Favia he avoids, Mini Maxi Anemone was also avoided. My Zoas vanished all 3 times I tried them, I can’t blame the CBB exactly because I also have a rabbit that avoids the same corals.
Here he is infront of the Duncan, pecking the sand for life.
image.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It eats pellets flake mysis and brine I was told it absolutely wouldn't eat coral just maybe micro feather dusters and such
Copperbands generally are not reef safe.

Sometimes you get lucky if they're well fed, but if they get hungry they'll dine on coral.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Malaysian copperband butterfly is still a Copperband butterfly with extra words :) They will still carry a risk to corals.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Malaysian copperband butterfly is still a Copperband butterfly with extra words :) They will still carry a risk to corals.
It’s similar with regal angels. Red Sea Regals are just the same as Indonesian Regals but with more words added to it.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy05

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats pretty much anything along with coral I tried everything and ended up moving it to a tank that had just gsp which the copperband and dogface puffer occasionally eat too! My copperband eats flake pellets mysis brine shrimp muscles on the shell clams on the shell table shrimp recently I tried raw calamari and seemed to not be a fan.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back