Is anyone using Rainford butterfly fish for aptasia control?

Darkrooster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new thing being tried around here for aptasia is rainford butterfly fish. A local wholesaler here was told about them and he’s so far sold 5 different shipments all successful. Obviously being sold as reef safe with caution. So we are the Guinea pigs lol. Very little info on them just the regurgitated general butterfly info not really Rainfords specifically. Here in Canada they are far cheaper than copperband and eat easily. I paid 100 bucks each. They can be kept in pairs or groups. I got two and are in QT right now with a green slimer. Monti digi, and a Gonipora. They haven’t touched them at all. I will keep adding new test corals as time goes on. They are eating a wide variety of frozen foods easily. I have purposefully not over fed them to see if they will fill the gap with coral but so far so good. I haven’t tried pellets yet but I will get some micro ones and try. They are still pretty small. They do pack at filamentous GHA as well. They pest patrol the rocks nonstop. If I drop an aptasia in there the go straight for it! I’m still needing to find a really giant one to see if size plays a part. They have also eaten some spaghetti worms and small feather dusters.
Today I am going to put my galaxia coral in there. Its rock is covered in aptasia and the coral might be similarly tempting. But so far they have been a dream so fingers crossed. Maybe as they hit adulthood they will develop a taste for coral who knows. Just hoping to find someone else who has tried them. Hopefully they may become an easier and more affordable option.

IMG_8713.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just ordered a Pearlscale Butterfly from my LFS for this very purpose!

Along him, I ordered a Molly Miller Blenny as well as an aiptasia eating file fish! Don't care which one works, as long as one of them will :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of that species before! If I had known of these I probably would have got one of them instead of a CBB. Let us know how they work out!

OP
OP
Darkrooster

Darkrooster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn’t either but a local wholesaler who is very knowledgeable is promoting them. I like I could keep a pair and relatively cheap. The fact they eat like horses pretty much everything is promising. I will try to update this thread as the journey progresses! They are super cute too so that helps! My main concern is they are babies and my tank in habitants are much bigger when I add them….

OP
OP
Darkrooster

Darkrooster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the aptasia rock. They are all over it but no interest in th Galaxea coral. I watched them for about 40 min. Not enough flow for the Galaxea so I can’t leave it in there for more then a day or two. But so far so good

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new thing being tried around here for aptasia is rainford butterfly fish. A local wholesaler here was told about them and he’s so far sold 5 different shipments all successful. Obviously being sold as reef safe with caution. So we are the Guinea pigs lol. Very little info on them just the regurgitated general butterfly info not really Rainfords specifically. Here in Canada they are far cheaper than copperband and eat easily. I paid 100 bucks each. They can be kept in pairs or groups. I got two and are in QT right now with a green slimer. Monti digi, and a Gonipora. They haven’t touched them at all. I will keep adding new test corals as time goes on. They are eating a wide variety of frozen foods easily. I have purposefully not over fed them to see if they will fill the gap with coral but so far so good. I haven’t tried pellets yet but I will get some micro ones and try. They are still pretty small. They do pack at filamentous GHA as well. They pest patrol the rocks nonstop. If I drop an aptasia in there the go straight for it! I’m still needing to find a really giant one to see if size plays a part. They have also eaten some spaghetti worms and small feather dusters.
Today I am going to put my galaxia coral in there. Its rock is covered in aptasia and the coral might be similarly tempting. But so far they have been a dream so fingers crossed. Maybe as they hit adulthood they will develop a taste for coral who knows. Just hoping to find someone else who has tried them. Hopefully they may become an easier and more affordable option.

IMG_8713.jpeg
I've asked a local who used to keep them regularly about their care and was told that they were better aiptasia eaters than copperbands. Unfortunately they're rare where I am and the ones my lfs had last month was unhealthy, otherwise I would've tried them. I may still try them if I can find more.

Also... where'd the common name "Rainford's" come from? I've always heard sixspine or just Parachaetodon.

OP
OP
Darkrooster

Darkrooster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've asked a local who used to keep them regularly about their care and was told that they were better aiptasia eaters than copperbands. Unfortunately they're rare where I am and the ones my lfs had last month was unhealthy, otherwise I would've tried them. I may still try them if I can find more.

Also... where'd the common name "Rainford's" come from? I've always heard sixspine or just Parachaetodon.
Oh I’m not sure that’s just what they were sold to me as so it may not be the most common name for them. They are troopers!!
Still haven’t touched my corals I have sacrificed as test subjects.
I’m hopeful. I will start copper this weekend and get them going
I tried ROE and they are that too
I will try pellets and flakes as well just to see

Gloomfrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP, where did you get your Chaetodon rainfordi from? I'm in Canada as well and want to give these a try as I'm also fighting a losing battle with aiptasia :(

OP
OP
Darkrooster

Darkrooster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP, where did you get your Chaetodon rainfordi from? I'm in Canada as well and want to give these a try as I'm also fighting a losing battle with aiptasia :(
Ugh mine didn’t make it through copper treatment I’m totally crushed they were awesome.
Unfortunately I got them through a guy who I hire to work on my tank not a store. I am trying to find more myself. If I find any in a store I will try to remember to post back here.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool fish thanks. Haven't seen those before. Butterflies are without a doubt my favorite fish. I got my first one, a cbb, for $89 at LFS and it devours aiptasia. I've yet to find one big enough it wouldn't rip apart. Ended up getting a yellow longnose too and both get along so well. Don't know if the longnose will eat them though since the Cbb ate them all. When I upgrade next, I wanted to add more butterflies, so will add these to the list of potentials.

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just ordered a Pearlscale Butterfly from my LFS for this very purpose!

Along him, I ordered a Molly Miller Blenny as well as an aiptasia eating file fish! Don't care which one works, as long as one of them will :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
pearlscale works great. doesn't go after any of my coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back