copperband butterfly fish feeding question

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine liked duncan and hammer corals, although as long as he went without eating I can't say as I blame it.
I’m lucky, mine has left everything alone. But I think he survived for about 2-3 months eating nothing but aptasia and other critters he scavenged from my rocks. Now he’ll eat live black worms and fresh clams, but that’s about all. Picky butthead, But it is better than eating torches and trachy’s so I won’t complain.

Jezzess77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry i know this an oldish post but since you were saying you hadnt got the fish yet i figured I'd join in. I got a copperband from my local fish store and tbh this isnt really a fish i would recommend getting online as you really need to make sure its in a good condition. i went to 3 different lfs to have a look at the copperbands, the first two were covered in lymph and one of them kept jolting its head, which is a sign of flukes, the last one looked fine however it wasnt eating. When I asked the fish store to feed it, it was actively swimming around looking at the food. this is a good sign it means they want to eat but they just wont go for anything. so i decided to take that one home. this next part was probably the only reason my copperband is still here today. I bought a two little fishies pouch feeder and would put a cube of mysis or brine in there everyday. these fish like to scavenge for their food so you have to teach them to eat certain foods by making them pick at it and once it learns and becomes familiar with the food the will eventually accept the food straight from the water column. mine is currently eating any frozen foods that i feed and im also training him to eat flakes through the pouch so my automatic feeder can take care of him when im away. if your cbb is already eating at the lfs thats a bonus. just feed him what he eats there and use the pouch to train him to eat what better suits you. but remeber just because he is eating at the lfs, doesnt mean hell eat when you take him home. these fish are very fussy and even the slightest changes can cause it to go on hunger strike. also i highly recommend doing a freshwater dip before you even think about putting him in your tank, as butterflies are fluke magnets and fluke isnt the easiest thing to spot on a fish. hope this helps, and please keep us updated on how you new little buddy is going :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back