Copperband Butterfly Not Eating

Zarharsha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Copperband about 10 days ago. I need him for an aiptasia problem. I asked my LFS and they said the Copperband was eating frozen brine ten minutes before I arrived. So I didn't personally see him eat (mistake). He was actively swimming and looking for food. I brought him home and put him in a QT tank. He didn't eat for the first few days, but I figured he was still acclimating. A few days later I realised the Copperband had not only ich, but black ich as well. I know they typically don't eat while stressed. I dropped in a filter pad from my DT because it had tons of Copepods on it, he was devouring them, until he at them all, then I tried frozen brine, live brine, and cyclops, I used garlic too. I don't think he's eating anything anymore. I heard they like blackworms, but I'm unable to get them due to my location. The Copperband's really skinny and not eating at all, is there anything I can do to save him/get him eating?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located?

White worms are another option. Or clams from the supermarket. Or possibly mealworms. Or maybe even small, chopped earthworms.

Edit: Forgot to ask...Are you using Prazi for the black ich? Are you treating for ich?

OP
OP
Z

Zarharsha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located?

White worms are another option. Or clams from the supermarket. Or possibly mealworms. Or maybe even small, chopped earthworms.

Edit: Forgot to ask...Are you using Prazi for the black ich? Are you treating for ich?
I live in Red Deer, Alberta. I only have one LFS and they don’t carry either worm. They don’t have Prazi, so I’m currently just using cupramine, and If they ever do get Prazi, I’ll use it.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will help you. I've trained Copperband to eat a few times.
Same problem you are having.

The key is once he get's a taste of NON-LIVE Food, he will do fine.

First you have to train him using Masstick Food.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/masstick-fish-food-easy-reefs.html
In a Shell, since they are pick eaters.
The shell is natural looking crevice for him to peek into.

When you stick the Food into Shell, just drop it in. Shell will always flip up right, like a cat.

This is a New Masstick Product. All made up, so no powder mixing.

https://www.marinedepot.com/easy-ma...7MzXkYgbTOG3UXR_-NBo0U3U4GkcahBoC-T4QAvD_BwE&

Most copperbands (all for me) have eventually taken a bite, then then things go well.
Take real Patience. I would sit for hours praying he would bite.

Once they taste mastick, anytime you drop a shell it, he will swim over. Better and Better Each time.

Here are a few video each time I went thru the tough process of training a Copperband.

If you don't have a Shell, you can make a feeder of of Acrylic like this.

Then after Masstick Training, he will eat Frozen. Again, Painful training.

Good Luck. Hope he makes it.

I never lost one Copperband with Masstick Trick. Trained 5 so far.
Almost lost my patience, but never gave up.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Cupramine, or the Equivalent Call Copper Safe.

It worked.
He was near dead before I pulled him out of Display Tank.
Caught him easy because he was weak, and Ich all over face/eye area.

Keep Trying.
I love Copperbands.

OP
OP
Z

Zarharsha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will help you. I've trained Copperband to eat a few times.
Same problem you are having.

The key is once he get's a taste of NON-LIVE Food, he will do fine.

First you have to train him using Masstick Food.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/masstick-fish-food-easy-reefs.html
In a Shell, since they are pick eaters.
The shell is natural looking crevice for him to peek into.

When you stick the Food into Shell, just drop it in. Shell will always flip up right, like a cat.

This is a New Masstick Product. All made up, so no powder mixing.

https://www.marinedepot.com/easy-ma...7MzXkYgbTOG3UXR_-NBo0U3U4GkcahBoC-T4QAvD_BwE&

Most copperbands (all for me) have eventually taken a bite, then then things go well.
Take real Patience. I would sit for hours praying he would bite.

Once they taste mastick, anytime you drop a shell it, he will swim over. Better and Better Each time.

Here are a few video each time I went thru the tough process of training a Copperband.

If you don't have a Shell, you can make a feeder of of Acrylic like this.

Then after Masstick Training, he will eat Frozen. Again, Painful training.

Good Luck. Hope he makes it.

I never lost one Copperband with Masstick Trick. Trained 5 so far.
Almost lost my patience, but never gave up.

I tried both sites, and they both say they're unable to ship outside of the US at the moment, is there anything else I could try?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried both sites, and they both say they're unable to ship outside of the US at the moment, is there anything else I could try?
I only posted two online retailers.
Any chance a Local Store might carry Masstick? But you never knew to ask.....

Another options, it get some brine Shrimp Eggs, and hatch them. Take like 48 hours, then a extra day to grow up.
It's not as nutritious, but if you feed the Brine Shrimp Spirolina powder Better than nothing.
The key is for the Copper to start some eatting in you tank.
WHen you add the Brine Shrimp, throw in a tiny bit of Frozen. He might bite the frozen by accident.

The problem with floating, moving food is they don't eat chasing food. The peck off live food off a surface.
Even when they eat the floating frozen, they miss and get frustrated. Over time they will learn to target and gulp.

OP
OP
Z

Zarharsha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only posted two online retailers.
Any chance a Local Store might carry Masstick? But you never knew to ask.....

Another options, it get some brine Shrimp Eggs, and hatch them. Take like 48 hours, then a extra day to grow up.
It's not as nutritious, but if you feed the Brine Shrimp Spirolina powder Better than nothing.
The key is for the Copper to start some eatting in you tank.
WHen you add the Brine Shrimp, throw in a tiny bit of Frozen. He might bite the frozen by accident.

The problem with floating, moving food is they don't eat chasing food. The peck off live food off a surface.
Even when they eat the floating frozen, they miss and get frustrated. Over time they will learn to target and gulp.

I was there yesterday picking up garlic oil for the chance it'd help. The only food they carry are frozen cyclops, brine and mysis, live copepods, and some freshwater flakes and pellets, ansd some algae sheets.

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest Powder so it lasts forever till mixed with Water. I never used the Pre-made.

YOu can also add vitamins, garlic liquid you already got.

Also when you make the Food with Powder. Tiny bit of water. Then Rub and Press many times, till it becomes a paste.
NOT TOO MUCH WATER of it falls apart.
Then make up tiny Meat Balls (size of a few grains of rice). Roll with your fingers. It's a bit messy.
If you have shelfish Alergies (use gloves)

After making your batch of Fresh Mastick balls. Throw them into a tupperware and freeze them.
Each time you want to try the feed trick. Take out the Frozen ball. Presh in on whatever you want..Even Tank Glass.
It will stick to your feeder, and warm up slowly.
Best to put your feeder on Bottom of Tank, or on a rock where copperband naturally pecks and looks.

Freezing make the food last long.
I usually make up one batch which give me about 10-20 feedings.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get clams from the supermarket. Little neck clams work great.

OP
OP
Z

Zarharsha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest Powder so it lasts forever till mixed with Water. I never used the Pre-made.

YOu can also add vitamins, garlic liquid you already got.

Also when you make the Food with Powder. Tiny bit of water. Then Rub and Press many times, till it becomes a paste.
NOT TOO MUCH WATER of it falls apart.
Then make up tiny Meat Balls (size of a few grains of rice). Roll with your fingers. It's a bit messy.
If you have shelfish Alergies (use gloves)

After making your batch of Fresh Mastick balls. Throw them into a tupperware and freeze them.
Each time you want to try the feed trick. Take out the Frozen ball. Presh in on whatever you want..Even Tank Glass.
It will stick to your feeder, and warm up slowly.
Best to put your feeder on Bottom of Tank, or on a rock where copperband naturally pecks and looks.

Freezing make the food last long.
I usually make up one batch which give me about 10-20 feedings.
Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Live Brine
Clam in a shell
LRS herbivore diet is what triggered mine. It is a food hog at feeding time

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try them while I wait for the Mastick ships. Thanks for the advice
Yes fresh...NOT cooked clams work.
Takes effort to slice one open.
Bit messy.
Then freeze it.
Slice the meat with sharp xaxto blade. Clip on to something, or elastic band.

Or just open alive and put the meat half in tank. Problem is if he doesn't eat... you have a time limit before it polutes your tank. If you have crabs they will help clean up the clam.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video I found of my Copperband eatting FIRST time From a Shell (masstick).

As mentioned above LRS herbivore diet does have Clam in it, and my Copperband does go for the food hastily. However I think at the Training Stage having a Feeding Station/Place is important for Consitancy, and teaching as it sniffs the same place, not eatting right away. (Thus a Single Recognizable, Shell or whatever).

And this is what DIDN'T Work for me. Cooked Frozen Clam. Too tough to chew, and not ideal for his digestive system.

can-i-feed-my-copperband-pure-but-cooked-clam-meat?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider buying a live white worm culture and breeding the worms yourself (very easy). I know this won't help your situation immediately but is good to keep on hand if you plan to keep more picky eating fish. They survive in salt water 5 days and keep wiggling and jiggling.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One More THing as you wait for WHATEVER food you have coming.

Might be a good idea if you have a airpump with AirStone. Boost the Oxygen Level in the Water.
Not a silver bullet anything.....It won't hurt, but helps if the fish is getting weak and dosen't have a appetitite. (Also if weak after Copper Treament, or Post Ich)
Doesn't have to be airstone pump. Even pointing a pump you have more at the Surface of the water.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back