OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nanomania I'm very sorry you lost the fish, but repeated FW dips are not to be taken lightly. You do it once as a diagnostic tool (to check for flukes), but any more than that should be reserved for fish battling severe velvet, brook, fluke infestations, etc.

IME; one FW dip is usually fine - but every time you do it after that, the risk of something going wrong increases. Especially if the fish has not had enough time to recover in-between FW dips.
Ok

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also (and I'm not trying to beat you over the head here), doing a FW dip is a very precise thing. The temp of the dip water must match the QT perfectly, and I like to heavily aerate the water both 30 mins before and during the FW dip. Squirting a little SW tank water into the FW dip will help raise the pH just before the fish goes in. Also, be sure to only use RODI or clean water from a healthy freshwater aquarium for the dip.

I've done probably hundreds of FW dips, but I still check and double check every little thing before the fish goes in. This reduces the possibility of something going wrong. When that does happen, I can usually trace it back to some little mistake I made. o_O

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for cbb, I added a clam.. it just looks at it and that's it, nipped twice, but did not eat. The clam was not frozen and was alive. Nipped at masstick too, also today I squirted some chopped mussel. Don't know wether it ate or no. As it still looks slim
ca98c7e0659b8824900668007d2d7072.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shread that clam into tiny pieces he can eat whole. Copperbands are not big in the teeth department.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about the purple tang, as Humblefish mentioned FW dips are not recommended frequently probably maximum 2 times is more than enough within the quarantine period. Did you check the water parameters for any ammonia buildup?

For the yellow tang, did you treat for flukes yet? It might be flukes, if you can also post a photo that will help.

For CBB try shredding the clam to tiny pieces as it has tiny mouth, also since its eating masstick, keep one available in the tank.

Best of luck

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed him a few times a day until he puts on weight and keep feeding him meaty stuff like clams. I wouldn't use too much processed, commercial food unless you have to but a copperband thrives on the proper diet of clams and if you can get them, live worms, even small earthworms.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @Paul B

Just worried about the competition in the main tank. As my acanthurus and blue sides flasher are crazy eaters.. will that be an issue? I also have chopped mussels and chopped cockles etc.
8c46a29f79c6f6530bf1119f4a1ed24a.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just worried about the competition in the main tank. As my acanthurus and blue sides flasher are crazy eaters.. will that be an issue? I also have chopped mussels and chopped cockles etc.

Until a CBB gets settled in, they are usually not good at competing with other fish for food. See solution below:

Video credit goes to @saltyhog

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I make a hole in the clam shell? Will that work??

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the tube can be anything the fish eat really. Like you could just stick a clam in it and so long as the device was small enough the copperband will be able to reach and nobody else will be able to. I will say though, I was nervous about my CBB competing with my fish, I would feed LRS or something to distract the other fish then blackworms when they weren't looking, however after two or three days it wasn't a problem and he seems to have picked up eating frozen from them too.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That food is fine, but those clams that you didn't get in those little commercial plastic pouches is better because it has more bacteria in it. I would try to feed him some food that you can buy fresh like those clams besides that commercial stuff. I know most of us (including me) use that pre packaged stuff because it is easy. But food you can buy fresh at a fish market is better and cheaper.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That food is fine, but those clams that you didn't get in those little commercial plastic pouches is better because it has more bacteria in it. I would try to feed him some food that you can buy fresh like those clams besides that commercial stuff. I know most of us (including me) use that pre packaged stuff because it is easy. But food you can buy fresh at a fish market is better and cheaper.
How many clams to feed? Can I buy fresh and leave them in an extra tank? How to keep them alive. I can buy monthly stock. Or do I freeze them?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back