*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

And I have a newer bottle of coppersafe. I unfortunately had to use it with a McCosker that I have in QT. I ranked up slowly with lots of tests and this bottle held true to dosage. I have a 20 gallon tank he is in and have added around 20 ml of coopersafe. I’m right at that 2.0 Mark now.

But not saying it couldn’t happen. I’ll go test again tonight! I’m sorry for your losses as well!

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion
Why don’t everyone put a hold on using this product until the test have been done and we get some more info. After all there’s other products out there that can be used in the mean time.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am incredibly sorry. :(

I hate that the information I have put out is now killing fish. :mad:

I think it would be unfair to say it's your fault! It is very clear a change in the product has occurred along the line, wether it's admitted or not! Now the fact that all of the testing means are so hard to be 100% sure of with color matching, hopefully the Hanna eliminates that part of the equation.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12 the info you posted was solid at the time. Something has changed and it's not your fault. Life is subject to change without notice.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

And I have a newer bottle of coppersafe. I unfortunately had to use it with a McCosker that I have in QT. I ranked up slowly with lots of tests and this bottle held true to dosage. I have a 20 gallon tank he is in and have added around 20 ml of coopersafe. I’m right at that 2.0 Mark now.

But not saying it couldn’t happen. I’ll go test again tonight! I’m sorry for your losses as well!

Out of curiosity, are the dosing instructions on your bottle 5ml per 4 gallon? Because at 20ml for 20gal, this would put you into the same category as the rest of us, meaning you reached a therapudic level prior to dosing the amount per the bottle instructions. Which was previously well below the therapudic level.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks, have you run the hannah kit on some tank water spiked with copper? Just wondering if any of the organics and such would impact the results..
I was thinking of ordering the hannah last quarantine go round cause I hate the API kit. Will definitely look to pick one up on the next batch of fish, hopefully can source the next ones on the fish list soon.

Interesting stuff, thanks for getting the ball rolling on testing this checker out!

I haven't, but that's a great point, will gladly do so!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s not your fault, if they didn’t mess it up, at least twice now, none of that would have happened! It’s unfortunate, but we all try to help but in reality all of us that lost fish to this (myself included) could have prevented this by more testing. Sure, we assumed we didn’t have to, but that’s ultimately a way we could have prevented it.

I’ve decided coppersafe isn’t for me, however.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not your fault, if they didn’t mess it up, at least twice now, none of that would have happened! It’s unfortunate, but we all try to help but in reality all of us that lost fish to this (myself included) could have prevented this by more testing. Sure, we assumed we didn’t have to, but that’s ultimately a way we could have prevented it.

I’ve decided coppersafe isn’t for me, however.
Going Copper Power?

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not even close to your fault. lol I remember the thread you, I, and a couple others were discussing about the dosage being off. I've used it before with success. But I have a very hard time with color tests. I would much rather dose as instructed. Don't feel like you are responsible. I've really quit copper all together. It's TTM or CP

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your info.... this is from an email exchange I had with them dating to June of last year.
upload_2018-3-15_15-54-2.png
Although I hadn't seen this, all in all it confirms my previous decision to get a Hach copper test kit. It is, as far as I can tell, the only at-home test kit that measures both free and total copper with reasonable accuracy.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't even read the back of a bottle of copper for a year or more - just add 5ml at a time, up to three x per day, testing as I go, until the color looks right.

This time 'round, I left them _in_ therapeutic copper for a couple of weeks too long, and have lost all my labrids because of it. (Still trying to catch one fish from the display...)

Sounds as though that's just how it's got to be done, as some copper products are of remarkably lower concentration than they're labeled, and some now appear to be much higher.

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't even read the back of a bottle of copper for a year or more - just add 5ml at a time, up to three x per day, testing as I go, until the color looks right.

This time 'round, I left them _in_ therapeutic copper for a couple of weeks too long, and have lost all my labrids because of it. (Still trying to catch one fish from the display...)

Sounds as though that's just how it's got to be done, as some copper products are of remarkably lower concentration than they're labeled, and some now appear to be much higher.

~Bruce
Copper power is on the nose, for what it’s worth. So is cupramine.

Last edited:

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll contribute :)

I remember doing my research from @Humblefish 's recommendations on medication on-hand and @Brew12 's experiences with Coppersafe and the email exchanges wtih Fritz that showed they had no idea what was going on after taking over manufacturing of the product.

Anywho... I bought mine last September.

Batch: 1107F1D101
Exp: 04-20-19

I used the approach to measure out the exact amount by syringe and test when I was half way to therapeutic levels.

Interior Dimension of tank - 19.9 Gallons
PPM Intended: 1.75ppm (allowed some room for error on my end)
Dosages: 1.9ml per gallon for a total of 37.81 ml
Test Kit: API
Final Test: Between 1-2ppm in color but much closer to 2ppm.

I'm 4 days away from completing 30 days in CopperSafe and have had no loss to date.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce

Definitely how it has to be done with copper safe... Test, test, and a little more test. To be safe. Of course IMO if you are using a product of quality, and the product is true to what its said to be. You should be able to dose by measuring with a confirmation test once therapeutic, as long as you know Exactly how many gallons you are dosing for thing like displacement etc. At least for me, I am a math/science nerd. I am much more comfortable dosing with measuring precisely, and a confirmation at the end. Which didn't work last go round. But, if things continue to go as they have with the hanna checker, would make it much easier for people to test with a precise digital reading throughout the process. I had a suggestion to test with DT water and add copper, instead of the "fresh saltwater" I have been testing. I will do so this weekend!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll contribute :)

I remember doing my research from @Humblefish 's recommendations on medication on-hand and @Brew12 's experiences with Coppersafe and the email exchanges wtih Fritz that showed they had no idea what was going on after taking over manufacturing of the product.

Anywho... I bought mine last September.

Batch: 1107F1D101
Exp: 04-20-19

I used the approach to measure out the exact amount by syringe and test when I was half way to therapeutic levels.

Interior Dimension of tank - 19.9 Gallons
PPM Intended: 1.75ppm (allowed some room for error on my end)
Dosages: 1.9ml per gallon for a total of 37.81 ml
Test Kit: API
Final Test: Between 1-2ppm in color but much closer to 2ppm.

I'm 4 days away from completing 30 days in CopperSafe and have had no loss to date.

Thanks for the info. I would have to guess and say your bottle was created prior to whatever it is that is going on. Because previously this would have been my exact experience!

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I would have to guess and say your bottle was created prior to whatever it is that is going on. Because previously this would have been my exact experience!

That was my guess too. If it helps isolate the dates when we started seeing problems, I figured it would help.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my guess too. If it helps isolate the dates when we started seeing problems, I figured it would help.

Most definitely, much appreciated. Thank you

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE on Hanna Inst. Hi Range Copper Checker
I am in communication with Hanna, they are very interested in my findings. They will begin their own testing next week, on the copper products we use In the hobby. They are very forthcoming with info, and things look good. There is not a known interference with seawater and their product/process which I believe @Randy Holmes-Farley mentioned above. All previous testing that has been preformed was on the low range model, not the Hi range model that I have been using. They obviously wont make a public statement, until they have completed their own testing and can deem the device 100% accurate. Which I knew in the beginning, and fully respect. If anything it is at least PROGRESS!

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back