coral box d700 plus

shnapper20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi I have coral box d700 I thought it was great skimmer so I bought a d700plus, have googled settings here and elsewhere but I cant get it where I want it, the froth is that thick it eventually oozes from the lids breather holes and pushes the lid off the cup. It creates heaps of thick skimmate at the expence of making a mess. I've had the pump flat out and it still does it , its like its to dry. So I swapped lids placing an old octopus skimmer lid on it this had more holes in it allowing the air to escape better. I can now get a wet skim yet the foam is still pushing the lid off. Im at a bit of a lose has anybody had similar results and been able to tune it. I prefer a wetter skimmate as i believe this helps keep nitrates down. thanks john

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long time have you run it? can´t you lower the speed and/or close the outlet a little? I have a 500 + and never seen these problems

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
shnapper20

shnapper20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long time have you run it? can´t you lower the speed and/or close the outlet a little? I have a 500 + and never seen these problems

Sincerely Lasse
Its been running for about 4 mths I dropped the speed down to 3 and set the foam about an inch below the cup. Very dark skimmate the foam started to lift the lid after 24 hrs

OP
OP
shnapper20

shnapper20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No but it’s still a fairly new tank and ive been dosing phytoplankton possibly this is the reason maybe it will settle down more once the corals get bigger. Thanks

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a d700 plus and it’s super easy to tune. You probably have low nutrients and not enough nutrients to skim. That’s a big skimmer and needs poop in the water to work

OP
OP
shnapper20

shnapper20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tangs 2clowns+2damsels what settings are you running you d700plus on and what depth of water are you sitting in thanks

OP
OP
shnapper20

shnapper20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is an effective skimmer Im running it flat out and the skim mate is dark tea colored, maybe I should drill a couple more holes in reef octopus lid taking it to 10 holes instead of the 6 the lid with the d700 comes with. By increasing the holes from 6-8 the foam appears wetter. I figure the wet foam if tuned right may not lift the lid but break down into fluid. I'll let you know what happens.

Back