Coral care while fish in QT

Steve Jones

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
254
Reaction score
112
Location
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you saw my other postings, you know that Brooklynellosis ran through my Biocube 29 aquarium 2 weeks ago. Killed all but 2 fish as I tried to race to diagnose and treat. The remaining 2 are in QT and have been undergoing Formalin baths. So far so good.

My question is - I am looking at 76 days now with no fish (COWLR? lol) in the DT for it to go fallow. I still have corals and inverts in it. Any suggestions on what I can do to really help the corals thrive while I concentrate on them and have the opportunity to work with / on them with no fish in the tank. I'm pretty new to this still. I have in the tank Pulse Coral, Co Co Worm, Cup Coral, Green Bubble Coral, Green Star Polyp, Green Torch and a Kenyan Tree. Or other maintenance work I can do while no fish present? Or more corals to add?
 
You can add coral to the tank while your going fallow. The earlier in the fallow period the better. Feed the corals and inverts a couple times a week. This will also keep your bio filtration going during this time. :)
 
It's interesting - in the 5 days the tank has been empty of fish, my corals have really "grown". Ones that were a little closed have opened up. Polyps that have ben retracted for a while are back. My Kenyan Tree which had seemed to be stunted since I added to the tank over 2 months ago and seen no growth has grown 1.5 times its size.
 
Steve sometimes fish can pick at the corals and cause them to retrack. Your Flame Angel and Coral Beauty can nip at corals and cause them to not expand as much.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new