Coral castaways: Are there corals that you would not keep in your tank?

Are there corals that you would not keep in your tank? (select all that apply)

• Yes, the ones that spread too quickly.

Votes: 238 58.5%
  • Yes, the ones that don’t grow quickly enough.

Votes: 17 4.2%
  • Yes, the ones that are difficult to keep.

Votes: 106 26.0%
  • Yes, the ones that I struggle with even though others may not.

Votes: 84 20.6%
  • Yes, the ones that don’t match my parameters.

Votes: 71 17.4%
  • Yes, the ones that I don’t like the visual look of the corals.

Votes: 200 49.1%
  • No, all corals are welcome.

Votes: 28 6.9%
  • Other

Votes: 29 7.1%

• Total voters

DD Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i kind of regret putting in my monti cap in my tank. i grew too quickly and is now growing over my ORA blue polyp cap now so i’ve started breaking bits off to hopefully slow it down. might just get rid of both and start over

outside of this i welcome any coral to my tank other than those that self propagate like xenia/kenya trees/certain mushrooms(i’m having an explosion of neptune bounce baby mushrooms everywhere in the tank which is mildly annoying lol)

My monti cap is on a small rock that I can easily move around and break apart, so it is easily possible for it not to take over.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My monti cap is on a small rock that I can easily move around and break apart, so it is easily possible for it not to take over.

i stuck mine under the edge of a shelf rock hoping it wouldn’t plate over on top of it. definitely got a hold and is widening its base, engulfing the other cap next to it that is a slower grower. my mistake but next time i’ll isolate it to the back glass

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all been there.

RIP to my first and maybe last lobophyllia
Oh, add that one too but does perish really slow so 12 months.

When I buy coral, my thinking is that if I provide for its needs, it should live indefinitely.

I seen a list of corals that are “known” to have shorter lives in captivity. Scared me. I never considered life span before.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, add that one too but does perish really slow so 12 months.

When I buy coral, my thinking is that if I provide for its needs, it should live indefinitely.

I seen a list of corals that are “known” to have shorter lives in captivity. Scared me. I never considered life span before.
Unfortunately mine had an issue that is common with most wild-caught lobophyllia, burrowing clams in the skeleton. Slowly withered away over two months.

acrocapital

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regret Pocillopora it spawns and grows everywhere. Have to pull out a small bucket once a month.
IMG_1879.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also ticked other for particularly aggressive corals like galaxea and bubble coral. I have a pectinia, which is the most aggressive in the tank so far and that gets its own corner, so no more real estate hogs!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I opt out of getting alerts about these kinds of posts?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All corals are welcome as long as they keep within their boundaries. I’m talking to you Xenia. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
it won't work, T̹͕̱̹̖̻ͤ͌̒͡Ḧ͕͎͉̩̘͡Ē̶͍̪̳ͭͤ̀Y̶̥͍ͫͨ ̸̝̥͈̜͐C͇̫̆̍͝ͅA̯͓̳̜̖̳͍̐̑ͫͤ͜N̐̿̂͏̞͖̳̤̼͖ ̵̠̩̞̠ͥ͐S͍̞͙͛ͮ͐͞Ẁ̨̬̹̲̭̥̯̯͍̾ͯ̾I̶̤̤͔͇͔͈̻ͣ̓̄M̷̳̩̩̤̽

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more acros for me. I have not been successful with green slimers so I have decided that my tank is best as a high nutrient softie/LPS tank. No testing, just once a month water changes!

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it won't work, T̹͕̱̹̖̻ͤ͌̒͡Ḧ͕͎͉̩̘͡Ē̶͍̪̳ͭͤ̀Y̶̥͍ͫͨ ̸̝̥͈̜͐C͇̫̆̍͝ͅA̯͓̳̜̖̳͍̐̑ͫͤ͜N̐̿̂͏̞͖̳̤̼͖ ̵̠̩̞̠ͥ͐S͍̞͙͛ͮ͐͞Ẁ̨̬̹̲̭̥̯̯͍̾ͯ̾I̶̤̤͔͇͔͈̻ͣ̓̄M̷̳̩̩̤̽
I know it. They’ll get trimmed back to reality and any new starts will get plucked out immediately. Mine went out of control but I just rescaped the tank so hopefully now that it’s under control again I’ll be watchful.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is one I would never keep in my reef again. My first tank I went for the back wall coverd with them. It looked cool put the got onto the rockwork at some point and about 5 years in had taken over covered about 80% of the tank.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bit the Bullet, and pulled two to three quarts out Kenya Tree out my 65. Towards the end of trying to get it all, realized I'm sick. I still had a water change to do. Got it done and Aquarium, is somewhat back together.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There isn't a softie I can think of that will ever go in my tank again. No poci. No galaxea. No GSP. I am even getting to the point that I won't put plating monti in my tanks again. Their only saving grace is they easily break off and grow so fast they can be given away or thrown away

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer having corals with their wild/natural growth and color :) aquacultured corals have many of those traits bred out.
Can you elaborate on this more? I’m confused how they’re bred out? I wasn’t aware anyone was breeding corals lol..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back