Coral castaways: Are there corals that you would not keep in your tank?

Are there corals that you would not keep in your tank? (select all that apply)

• Yes, the ones that spread too quickly.

Votes: 238 58.5%
  • Yes, the ones that don’t grow quickly enough.

Votes: 17 4.2%
  • Yes, the ones that are difficult to keep.

Votes: 106 26.0%
  • Yes, the ones that I struggle with even though others may not.

Votes: 84 20.6%
  • Yes, the ones that don’t match my parameters.

Votes: 71 17.4%
  • Yes, the ones that I don’t like the visual look of the corals.

Votes: 200 49.1%
  • No, all corals are welcome.

Votes: 28 6.9%
  • Other

Votes: 29 7.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coral castaways: Are there corals that you would not keep in your tank?

There are many reasons that we may choose to not keep a certain type of corals in our tank such as they may spread to quickly, they do not grow quickly enough, they are difficult to keep, you personally struggle with them, they don’t match the parameters in your tank, you don’t like the visual look, and many other potential reasons. Of course, we’ll assume that you would not keep corals that are illegal to be kept in captivity if you don’t have the proper authorization. We often think about what corals that we want, but have you ever thought about what corals that you don’t want? Please let us know if there are corals that you would not keep in your tank and tell us why!

BradMiller_Xenia.jpeg

Photo by @Brad Miller

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this new iteration I'm not keeping any Montis. They're growing way too fast for me and taking up precious space. Same with Pavona.
Acroporas + Frogspawns + some Acans, that's it.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i kind of regret putting in my monti cap in my tank. i grew too quickly and is now growing over my ORA blue polyp cap now so i’ve started breaking bits off to hopefully slow it down. might just get rid of both and start over

outside of this i welcome any coral to my tank other than those that self propagate like xenia/kenya trees/certain mushrooms(i’m having an explosion of neptune bounce baby mushrooms everywhere in the tank which is mildly annoying lol)

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a beginner, I don’t want to kill any corals. I for sure plan on getting a few easy corals that are slow grower or medium grower. I’ll do my due dilligence with a heavy research before getting any.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dealing with fast growing mushrooms, and organpipe coral, and I think I will avoid these in the future.

One coral that I have decided not to get that I like is the LPS elegance coral. They are reported to produce chemicals that attract snails and when the snails get close the elegance eats them. I don't want to feed a coral better than I feed myself, and I need my CUC alive.

SlasherZ

I dunno, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whyyyy. They're beautiful
They just remind me of a big pile of intestines or something. Especially the pinkish **** toned ones. Either that or the more colorful ones look like a bunch of creepy little mouths..

Edit: Oops, didn't realize a popular clothing/makeup color would need a censor! Sorry

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool. I’ve got Hugh ones in my big tank and I wanna get rid of them. They take up far too much room that could house sps

Morgan Rodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i kind of regret putting in my monti cap in my tank. i grew too quickly and is now growing over my ORA blue polyp cap now so i’ve started breaking bits off to hopefully slow it down. might just get rid of both and start over

outside of this i welcome any coral to my tank other than those that self propagate like xenia/kenya trees/certain mushrooms(i’m having an explosion of neptune bounce baby mushrooms everywhere in the tank which is mildly annoying lol)
You should try gluing the edge of the monti at least on the side you don’t want it to grow. That typically works for me whenever it’s growing somewhere I don’t like

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trachys are doing great approaching the six month mark :)
I am jealous, I love those.

It’s likely just me.
Scollies as well, about 8th month, bam, shrink, and die.

No crabs no shrimps no fish tasters.

All else LPS and SPS, some more than 7 years now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back