Coral color is diminishing

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green monti and a sunset monti that are losing their color. Everything checks out. 7.8 alk, 420 cal, around 1350 mag. Just recently started happening. Nothing added in the past 4 months or so. Sbreeflights. Any idea? I did stop waste changes for about 1 to 2 months in order to figure out mag issues but that's it

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just some thoughts from my personal experience, but 2 things I noticed right off the bat:
  • Phosphates are probably not 0, but if they are undetectable they are probably too low. Need to be in a balance with Nitrates.
  • With nitrates at 50, you probably want to run higher Alk, closer to 10 - that I could be wrong on.

Last edited:

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they browning or bleaching?

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 nitrates is really really high. I'm suprised they've not gone brown first.

Hmm, wouldn't a coral bleach when it has too much zooxanthelae? Did the corals brown out first?

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man, that salifert phosphate kit is tough. i cant identify the color result in any kind of lighting, and ive got a background in the sciences.
I agree it is a tough one. What do you gifs recommend besides the Hannah? They are a bit out of my budget at the time

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 ppm for nitrate is fairly high... you'll definetly want to do a series of small water changes to bring those down. (Do something like a 15% WC every 4 days until you get below 30 ppm)

As for coral coloration, I highly reccomend using 'Coral Vitalizer'. It promotes coral coloration by allowing your coral to rely less on zooxanthellae which has a brown coloration. Pairing this with products similar to 'fuel' or 'reef roids' provides optimal coral coloration

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very careful with the potions, especially ones with copper in them. :)

Is it possible that the restart of water changes caused the loss of color? Did you notice color loss before restarting water changes? Monti's don't do well with very low PO4. Double up the salifert kit (per instructions) and see if you get any hint of blue in the water.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back