Coral color is diminishing

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't confidently advise on those products because I have never used them. However, po4 minus, if its similar to gfo, could cause loss of color also. Gfo does it to me. Usually when it's a new media. So I start it slowly and only use a couple days every two weeks until their is some po4 build up. I have a 125 gl that I only use .25 cup on. So I use a tiny amount.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't confidently advise on those products because I have never used them. However, po4 minus, if its similar to gfo, could cause loss of color also. Gfo does it to me. Usually when it's a new media. So I start it slowly and only use a couple days every two weeks until their is some po4 build up. I have a 125 gl that I only use .25 cup on. So I use a tiny amount.
It is similar. Would it help to rinse the gfo?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D'Angelo et al., 2008 found orange Montipora fluorescence to fade at PAR of 100, and greatly increase when light was upped to 400. It did not intensify when light was increased to 700. Not debating that water changes are a good thing, but in the day of ICP testing we have a chance to learn something. Nickel at a concentration of 0.38 might be the result of deterioration of poor quality stainless steel, or perhaps the tank being used a wishing well... As many seasoned hobbyists know, things we take for granted nowadays were at one time unsolved, puzzling problems. My two cents worth.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is similar. Would it help to rinse the gfo?
Well you always rinse it in tank water. But that will not effect what we're talking about. I would stop using it. Begin your water change regiment and continue to monitor po4. But water changes will replace its use for now. No need for it. Water changes and I bet in a few weeks color comes back.
Remember, keep it simple........

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D'Angelo et al., 2008 found orange Montipora fluorescence to fade at PAR of 100, and greatly increase when light was upped to 400. It did not intensify when light was increased to 700. Not debating that water changes are a good thing, but in the day of ICP testing we have a chance to learn something. Nickel at a concentration of 0.38 might be the result of deterioration of poor quality stainless steel, or perhaps the tank being used a wishing well... As many seasoned hobbyists know, things we take for granted nowadays were at one time unsolved, puzzling problems. My two cents worth.
Dana, when doing tests like this, what have you found with the par in comparison to how high the po4/no3 were? For instance if that montipora started to fade at 400, what was the nutrient levels? If they were elevated, and had they be very low, maybe it would have then faded at 300 par?

@domination2580 If your nitrates are 50 and your po4 is zero, that's a problem. Not your lighting. I would not be using gfo. Gfo is probably the reason your no3 is elevated to 50.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana, when doing tests like this, what have you found with the par in comparison to how high the po4/no3 were? For instance if that montipora started to fade at 400, what was the nutrient levels? If they were elevated, and had they be very low, maybe it would have then faded at 300 par?

@domination2580 If your nitrates are 50 and your po4 is zero, that's a problem. Not your lighting. I would not be using gfo. Gfo is probably the reason your no3 is elevated to 50.
Why would gfo cause nitrates to be high?

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would gfo cause nitrates to be high?
I don't know the science behind it, but it just does. If you remove gfo not only will your p03 rise as it needs to, but your nitrate will lower. I'd bet money on it. The two have such a close relationship. The number one thing I've done in the past to hurt my corals was gfo. The best thing I've done to help, primarily lps, was dose phosphorus. I don't think you have a lighting issue. As long as that new light is close in par to what you've had. Even at that ditch the gfo unless something calls for it.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did some lighting/coloration experiments in Hawaii using natural seawater with elevated N and P. That log book is still in the basement, unpacked in a moving book. I'll reply when I find it.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some lighting/coloration experiments in Hawaii using natural seawater with elevated N and P. That log book is still in the basement, unpacked in a moving book. I'll reply when I find it.
Excellent. I've love to see a new thread on that, and to be able to read through the data when you get to it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back