OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very careful with the potions, especially ones with cooper in them. :)

Is it possible that the restart of water changes caused the loss of color? Did you notice color loss before restarting water changes? Monti's don't do well with very low PO4. Double up the salifert kit (per instructions) and see if you get any hint of blue in the water.
What do you mean double up?

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry thought I posted them already!
91b31d7727043e40bc2241b914d6344d.jpg
6fa012ca6838c852138f9144d6a8f6c5.jpg

Rogergolf66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not that I think your po4 is zero but if it is its is a building block of everything in the world and you do need some phosphate. If your po4 is zero the only way to bring nitrate down is with water changes and most production that naturally lower nitrate with a narrate consuming bacteria do so balanced with po4. Since your po4 is zero they won't work on nitrates. Example bio pellets.

I would do 3 large water changes over 10 days see if that gets nitrates down it should. If it Dosnt lower nitrate then u have nitrate in your source water or you are feeding more then your system can process removal.

Good luck

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to salifert...when I have some time I'll be taking some water to friend for Hannah phosphate checker.

Shineymoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only I could bring them down....ive tried using life bio fill by af and their np pro and pro bio s and hasn't reduced any....im at a loss...
Why don't you do water changes? If your source water is clean, water changes will remove it. Just go slow, small water changes 3 or 4 days apart. Cut back a little on food during that time.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my questions would be.....tell me about your tank, size, nutrient export, flow, corals in it, fish....etc. We need to figure out why your trates are so high before we give you recommendations imo.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you do water changes? If your source water is clean, water changes will remove it. Just go slow, small water changes 3 or 4 days apart. Cut back a little on food during that time.
I have been doing water changes. Also I feed maybe 3 times a week

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my questions would be.....tell me about your tank, size, nutrient export, flow, corals in it, fish....etc. We need to figure out why your trates are so high before we give you recommendations imo.
55, corallife skimmer, two powerheads, 3 fish, 2 stars, I'd say about 30 corals. Few hermits, few snails

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so you have a pretty light bioload but not a great way of nutrient export besides water changes and a coralife skimmer. Your using SB reef lights, any idea what the par is where your having the issue's? To me it sounds like a new skimmer is in your future, are you running this sumpless? The nitrates are the cause imo and the only way to combat the trates is water changes, macro export or a skimmer. So it sounds like some water changes are in order to pull them down. But before you do that are you using a RODI or buying water from your LFS? If buying from a LFS the filters and membrane could also be the culprit.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so you have a pretty light bioload but not a great way of nutrient export besides water changes and a coralife skimmer. Your using SB reef lights, any idea what the par is where your having the issue's? To me it sounds like a new skimmer is in your future, are you running this sumpless? The nitrates are the cause imo and the only way to combat the trates is water changes, macro export or a skimmer. So it sounds like some water changes are in order to pull them down. But before you do that are you using a RODI or buying water from your LFS? If buying from a LFS the filters and membrane could also be the culprit.
I have my own rodi tested the waster for nitrates and none are in the source water. I have about 40 lb of live rock as well and about an inch sand bed.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my own rodi tested the waster for nitrates and none are in the source water. I have about 40 lb of live rock as well and about an inch sand bed.

Good to hear! Pure water is half the battle a lot of times. I honestly believe its just lack of nutrient export. How old is the tank? Was the live rock live or dry rock when you added it in? The hanna phos test will be interesting to see. Are you pulling much from the skimmer? Are you sumpless?

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear! Pure water is half the battle a lot of times. I honestly believe its just lack of nutrient export. How old is the tank? Was the live rock live or dry rock when you added it in? The hanna phos test will be interesting to see. Are you pulling much from the skimmer? Are you sumpless?
Dry rock when i added. It's about 8 months.
Sumpless and skimmer pulls it's share

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing your phosphate test yet I'd say its just the longevity of high nitrates catching up with the monti's. Sounds like your lights and rodi are sufficient, just the lack of nutrient export. If your budget allows adding a sump would be great : ) if not I think some water changes would really help out.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing your phosphate test yet I'd say its just the longevity of high nitrates catching up with the monti's. Sounds like your lights and rodi are sufficient, just the lack of nutrient export. If your budget allows adding a sump would be great : ) if not I think some water changes would really help out.
Just did one. But in the past it hasn't helped with nitrates

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back