coral combination for a brand new 50 gallon tank

WouterDumon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My tank is finnaly cycled so i'm going to look for a clean-up crew and slowly adding some corals.
The goal for the tank is to be a main Coral tank with just a couple of fishes in it to fill the blank spaces. The corals listed below would be the end-result.

Having that said i am currently looking into:
1) Zoanthids
2) Ricordea Mushrooms / Hairy mushrooms
- doubting because of needing to feed
3) Green Star Polyps
- Back of the tank ( left and right)
4)Micromussa
5) Rhodactics mushrooms
6) Blastomussa
7) Euphyllia

I have attached an empty picture of the tank below and a picture where i would "plant" each coral.
TANK_EMPTY.jpg

TANK_EXAMPLE.jpg

Aquarium: Waterbox AIO 50.3

Does this placement/combination looks alright or any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wouter

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had coral for a little over the year - several of the ones on your list. One thing I have experienced is that a coral is not always happy where I first put it. So I am glad I didn't glue anything down and had the flexibility to move them.

OP
OP
WouterDumon

WouterDumon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had coral for a little over the year - several of the ones on your list. One thing I have experienced is that a coral is not always happy where I first put it. So I am glad I didn't glue anything down and had the flexibility to move them.
oh i didn't know that, thanks i'll watch out with glue then. do you feed your corals or let them use the lights to develop? i was thinking of broadcast feeding for now and calcium dosing little bit along the way to get the max colour out of them

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently purchased zoas and I think they like to be fed. The mushrooms I seldom feed. Ricordeas are a struggle to get to grow and I have started to feed them. Blastomussa you can feed but not necessary. I would encourage you to read up on each fish and coral you add to your tank. It may be more beneficial to spot feed at this point.

I would not add calcium or any other additive until you need to. My tank is about 16 months old and ,with regular water changes, I started adding calcium and magnesium about 4 months ago and am now buying a doser. I occasionally needed to add sodium bicarbanate prior to then. You will develop a "feel" for your system.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh i didn't know that, thanks i'll watch out with glue then. do you feed your corals or let them use the lights to develop? i was thinking of broadcast feeding for now and calcium dosing little bit along the way to get the max colour out of them
If you have cheap or inflexible lighting, purchase a cheap, round alage cleaner and glue the tank end to a piece of egg crate or a cheap frag rack. You can then start the frags out at the bottom of your tank and raise it as they acclimate.

OP
OP
WouterDumon

WouterDumon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey David, great idea. I have 2 Blue marine Lancia Led's. aren't the most premium one's but can play a bit with them though i guess that will be a logn learn process with the first few corals :p

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back