Coral dip

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will soon be dipping my foot into the coral end of the stream. Having never purchased any coral I have done a lot of research.. but as we know that only takes us so far. So I need your help fam... what do you do when you buy new corals? What is your preferred dip and dipping methods? Also quarantine? How do you do it and what do you recommend to a newbie trying to get it right.. I have a 10 gallon tank just lying around that I can turn into a Qt but I need to know how and where to start. Thanks in advance guys

marito09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for coral to grow and thrive successfully you will be to have your tank established with good bacteria ( good cycle) I do dip every coral I put in my tank with a drip method just because I don't want any pest. Is not 100% that you will not have a pest but will safe you headaches of you do. Some people QT fish and some don't I have seen both successfully done but QT is safer and it gets the fish used to your type of food. They are great videos in youtube. My 2 cents ! Good luck!

devilhunt1231

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt absolutely everything or at some point in the future you will regret it, I'm speaking from personal experience I used to only qt my live stock that was a mistake as I accidentally added montipora eating nudibranch even though all corals where dipped before being added to the display and by the time I spotted them it was to late and I ended up loosing every montipora coral I had and some where years old, I suspect that a single on couple of eggs where accidentally added to my display on a frag so now every coral is qt'ed for a minimum of 4 weeks before being added to the display.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a FOWLR with no problem for a while now and I normally drip acclimate the fish and do a short stint in Qt to make sure they are not sick. I'm more concerned with the coral aspect now (mainly pests and how long I need to Qt them to make sure I'm safe). The tank I'm putting them in has been cycled and is still just hanging out with 2 clowns and some nasarrius snails in it. I probably did t gave any corals in it for another month or so mainly because if getting a handle on this dip/qt situation. Thanks for the response mate. [emoji106]

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back